"Kailua, on the Windward Side" Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua by Rixie
Kailua Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 199 photos
If I could have a second home anywhere in the world, I would choose Kailua. When I was there, I was seriously tempted to sell everything I own and call the office to say, "I'm not coming back!" Unfortunately, even if I sold everything, I'd still be several million dollars short. . .
Kailua has carved green mountains, a long, white-sand beach that I consider to be the most beautiful on Oahu, and all of the amenities like good restaurants, shops, a public library, and a medical center. The air is pure, the pace of living is relaxed, it's not overrun with tourists, yet it's only 11 miles from the city of Honolulu, on the windward side of the island.
Quite a few military officers make their homes in Kailua. The Marine base at Kaneohe is close by, and Pearl Harbor is an easy and scenic commute via H3.
President Barack Obama, who is a graduate of Punahou School in Honolulu, vacations in Kailua whenever he can.
This photo shows one of the many homes in Kailua that I can't afford! I actually know exactly where I would live, if I could. It wouldn't be right on the beach, just in case there were ever a tidal wave, but it would be within walking distance in a serene, landscaped condo complex.
I enjoyed walking around Kailua and seeing the personal touches people added to their homes.
- Pros:Gorgeous beach, lovely climate
- Cons:High real estate prices
- In a nutshell:My idea of Paradise
Kanile'a Ukulele is owned by husband-and-wife team Joe and Kristen Souza, both of whom were born and raised in Kailua.... more travel advice
There are all kinds of places to shop in Kailua - everything from a Goodwill store to pricey beachwear boutiques. I was... more travel advice
Rixie's Related Pages
Kailua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laid-Back Beach Town"
- "Kailua, on the Windward Side"
- "Keeping It Kailua"
- "Aloha, Kailua"
- "Welcome to Haolewood"
- "Kailua Hawaii"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kailua
- Hotels in Kailua
- Nightlife in Kailua
- Restaurants in Kailua
- Shopping in Kailua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kailua
- 10 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Kailua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kailua
Photos in KailuaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 46 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues