"Kailua, on the Windward Side" Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua by Rixie

Kailua Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 176 photos

If I could have a second home anywhere in the world, I would choose Kailua. When I was there, I was seriously tempted to sell everything I own and call the office to say, "I'm not coming back!" Unfortunately, even if I sold everything, I'd still be several million dollars short. . .

Kailua has carved green mountains, a long, white-sand beach that I consider to be the most beautiful on Oahu, and all of the amenities like good restaurants, shops, a public library, and a medical center. The air is pure, the pace of living is relaxed, it's not overrun with tourists, yet it's only 11 miles from the city of Honolulu, on the windward side of the island.

Quite a few military officers make their homes in Kailua. The Marine base at Kaneohe is close by, and Pearl Harbor is an easy and scenic commute via H3.

President Barack Obama, who is a graduate of Punahou School in Honolulu, vacations in Kailua whenever he can.

This photo shows one of the many homes in Kailua that I can't afford! I actually know exactly where I would live, if I could. It wouldn't be right on the beach, just in case there were ever a tidal wave, but it would be within walking distance in a serene, landscaped condo complex.

I enjoyed walking around Kailua and seeing the personal touches people added to their homes.

• Pros:Gorgeous beach, lovely climate
  • Cons:High real estate prices
  • In a nutshell:My idea of Paradise
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2010

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Mmmm, that is a gorgeous beach Laverne :o) Cute mailbox too. I can see why you would want to live here :o) Hugs, Ann.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2010 at 9:17 AM

nice page laverne. seems like you spend a lot of time eating there :O)

Rixie

“Travel may be an addiction, but it's cheaper than drugs.”

Badges & Stats in Kailua