"Sonoma - Heart of the Wine Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma by Rixie
Sonoma Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 649 photos
Sonoma is a pretty little historic town located 50 miles northeast of San Francisco in the heart of the Northern California wine country. Established in 1823 as the last of the 21 California missions, it is set in a valley among rolling hills and vineyards.
The Sonoma Valley, also known as The Valley of the Moon, today is famous for its fine wines. A friendly rivalry exists between Sonoma Valley and the nearby Napa Valley, known locally as The Other Valley. Well, maybe the rivalry isn't so friendly after all... :)
Tourists flock to Sonoma on weekends and in summer to go winetasting at local wineries, to attend annual events like the Vintage Festival and the Salute to the Arts, or simply to escape from the San Francisco fog and relax in the Plaza.
During the summer months, a Farmer's Market is held every Tuesday evening in the Plaza in front of Sonoma City Hall. It's a festive occasion, with live music and vendors selling fresh produce, handicrafts, and takeaway food. The crowd is a lively mixture of tourists and local families. Buy yourself a bouquet of sunflowers, a bag of beautiful red tomatoes, and a homemade peach pie; sit on the grass and listen to the music. My current favorites: Petaluma cheese, and Beezolio's skin balm made from beeswax and olive oil.
Sonoma Plaza is a wonderful place to picnic or people-watch, and there are always places where you can find a private moment in the middle of the crowd.
This mural, on the side of the Lynch Building on First Street West, reflects Sonoma's cultural heritage and the importance of the grape harvest to the Valley.
- Pros:Sunshine, wineries, history, natural beauty, friendly people
- Cons:The shops close early
- In a nutshell:Small Town with Artistic Flair
The Toscano Hotel, built in the 1850s, is a quick and interesting historic stop if you're in Sonoma on the right... more travel advice
Sox de Vine is a relative newcomer to Sonoma but has already gained a loyal following, and deservedly so. Who knew that... more travel advice
Rixie's Related Pages
Sonoma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sonoma - Heart of the Wine Country"
- "Sonoma is Fine Even Without the Wine"
- "SONOMA. THE VALLEY OF THE MOON"
- "Sonoma Valley Bubblegum Blues"
- "Moon full of wine!"
- "Sonoma Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sonoma
- Hotels in Sonoma
- Transportation in Sonoma
- Nightlife in Sonoma
- Restaurants in Sonoma
- Shopping in Sonoma
- Warnings and Dangers in Sonoma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sonoma
- 49 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Sonoma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sonoma
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues