Sacramento Hotel Tips by Rixie
Sacramento Hotels: 9,240 reviews and 39 photos
Topiary hedge, Hyatt Regency
This is a huge, elegant hotel (over 500 rooms) and thus not the kind of place I would normally elect to stay, but I found a good room rate on Travelocity: $94 for a room with a king-sized bed, double occupancy. I decided to give it a try.
When we were waiting to check in, we found that a large medical convention was in-house. The desk clerk was telling the couple ahead of us that there were no more king-bedded rooms available. They were not happy about this, but I remained smug -- Hey, I'd been smart and reserved mine ahead of time!
However, my smugness dissolved quickly when I opened the door to our room. There were two double beds. I phoned the front desk and said, "I think there's been a mistake. I reserved a king bed." The woman at the front desk said, "I'm sorry. The hotel only reserves a room. The type of bed is just a request." What???
I don't know if this is a Hyatt problem or a Travelocity problem, but there should be some kind of a disclaimer somewhere. I had a printed confirmation from Travelocity for a king-sized bed, and I suspect the people ahead of me at the front desk did, too.
The building is laid out oddly. The hotel garage has a separate elevator. Say, for example, that you have a room on the 4th floor. You park your car, logically enough, on the 4th floor of the parking garage and expect that there will be a connection to the hotel. Wrong. You have to take the garage elevator down to the 2nd floor, enter the hotel, walk down a corridor and around a corner, and find the hotel elevator. You then take that elevator back up to the 4th floor. Very confusing.
The room itself, aside from the bed situation, was quite nice and still a bargain for the price. I don't know that I'd personally ever stay there again, but it would probably be a good place for a convention goer or a lobbyist. Just confirm the type of room before your arrival!
Unique Qualities: The hotel is in a primo location. You can walk to the State Capitol, the Convention Center, historic St. Paul's Episcopal Church, and the IMAX theater.
There's a fascinating topiary hedge around part of the hotel. The bushes are cut into the shape of paperdoll families, complete with dog.
Address: 1209 L St, Sacramento, CA 95814
Comparison: about average
More Reviews (2)
Rixie's Related Pages
Sacramento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sacramento: More Than Just A State Captiol"
- "Six Hours in Sacramento"
- "A Very Nice Community and Climate"
- "The best thing about Sacramento was Jeannette1"
- "SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sacramento
- Hotels in Sacramento
- Transportation in Sacramento
- Nightlife in Sacramento
- Restaurants in Sacramento
- Shopping in Sacramento
- Warnings and Dangers in Sacramento
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sacramento
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Sacramento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sacramento
Read real reviews about Sacramento Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (62)
- California State Capitol- 22 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Old Sacamento- 27 Reviews, 39 Photos
- California State Railroad Museum- 11 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Twin Tower Bridge- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Riverboat Cruise- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Sacromento Zoo- 3 Reviews, 10 Photos
- State Indian Museum- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Chinatown- 2 Reviews, 4 Photos
- California Museum- 2 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Sacramento River- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Sacramento Things to Do