Sacramento Hotel Tips by Rixie
Sacramento Hotels: 6,666 reviews and 38 photos
Topiary hedge, Hyatt Regency
This is a huge, elegant hotel (over 500 rooms) and thus not the kind of place I would normally elect to stay, but I found a good room rate on Travelocity: $94 for a room with a king-sized bed, double occupancy. I decided to give it a try.
When we were waiting to check in, we found that a large medical convention was in-house. The desk clerk was telling the couple ahead of us that there were no more king-bedded rooms available. They were not happy about this, but I remained smug -- Hey, I'd been smart and reserved mine ahead of time!
However, my smugness dissolved quickly when I opened the door to our room. There were two double beds. I phoned the front desk and said, "I think there's been a mistake. I reserved a king bed." The woman at the front desk said, "I'm sorry. The hotel only reserves a room. The type of bed is just a request." What???
I don't know if this is a Hyatt problem or a Travelocity problem, but there should be some kind of a disclaimer somewhere. I had a printed confirmation from Travelocity for a king-sized bed, and I suspect the people ahead of me at the front desk did, too.
The building is laid out oddly. The hotel garage has a separate elevator. Say, for example, that you have a room on the 4th floor. You park your car, logically enough, on the 4th floor of the parking garage and expect that there will be a connection to the hotel. Wrong. You have to take the garage elevator down to the 2nd floor, enter the hotel, walk down a corridor and around a corner, and find the hotel elevator. You then take that elevator back up to the 4th floor. Very confusing.
The room itself, aside from the bed situation, was quite nice and still a bargain for the price. I don't know that I'd personally ever stay there again, but it would probably be a good place for a convention goer or a lobbyist. Just confirm the type of room before your arrival!
Unique Qualities: The hotel is in a primo location. You can walk to the State Capitol, the Convention Center, historic St. Paul's Episcopal Church, and the IMAX theater.
There's a fascinating topiary hedge around part of the hotel. The bushes are cut into the shape of paperdoll families, complete with dog.
Address: 1209 L St, Sacramento, CA 95814
Comparison: about average
More Reviews (2)
Rixie's Related Pages
Sacramento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sacramento: River City in the Central Valley 2013"
- "Six Hours in Sacramento"
- "The best thing about Sacramento was Jeannette1"
- "SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA"
- "California's State Capitol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sacramento
- Hotels in Sacramento
- Transportation in Sacramento
- Nightlife in Sacramento
- Restaurants in Sacramento
- Shopping in Sacramento
- Warnings and Dangers in Sacramento
- See All...
Explore the World
- Talbot Carlow
- Vincci Lys
- Golden Star (Zlata Hvezda) Hotel Prague
- Prague Centre Plaza
- Sheraton Guilin Hotel
- Monsignor Della Casa Country Resort
- Kaitian International Hotel
- Margaret's Place Johannesburg
- Lorda House
- BoardingHouse Heidelberg
- Easterner Motel
- Mercure Budapest Metropol
Badges & Stats in Sacramento
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Sacramento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sacramento
Read real reviews about Sacramento Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 50 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (56)
Latest Sacramento hotel reviews
- Hilton Sacramento Arden West
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Madison Inn And Suites
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Sacramento International Hostel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Sacramento Cal Expo
- 137 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Sacramento
- 312 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Homestead South Natomas Sacramento
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Super 8 Sacramento Airport
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Holiday Inn Sacramento Northeast
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Courtyard Sacramento Midtown
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Sacramento South Natomas
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Holiday Inn Sacramento Capitol Plaza
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Quality Inn Sacramento
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Larkspur Landing Sacramento
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Host Airport Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2008
- California State Capitol- 22 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Old Sacamento- 26 Reviews, 34 Photos
- California State Railroad Museum- 11 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Riverboat Cruise- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Sacromento Zoo- 3 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Sacramento River- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- California Museum- 2 Reviews, 10 Photos
- State Indian Museum- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Twin Tower Bridge- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- California State Military Museum- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
See All Sacramento Things to Do