Sacramento Restaurant Tips by Rixie

Sacramento Restaurants: 74 reviews and 93 photos

Great Beer and Burgers - Sacramento
Woody's Grill & Bar: Great Beer and Burgers

When I went to Sacramento to take a friend to lunch for her birthday, she suggested Woody's, saying that there was a great selection of beers and the best burgers in town. She was right! I wouldn't mind going back the next time I'm in town.

Favorite Dish: I had a hamburger with cheddar cheese, crisp bacon, and avocado, on a sesame seed bun. (The waitress was very good about substituting cheddar for the Swiss that was on the menu.) It was huge -- I had to cut it in half even to get my mouth around it -- and delicious. There was coleslaw on the side, and the half-finished beer you see in the photo was Flat Tire Ale, a very good amber ale.

They also had special Sunday brunch items on the menu, e.g. creative variations on Eggs Benedict.

Address: 2316 Watt Ave., Sacramento

Theme: Pub/Brewery

Website: http://www.woodysgrill.com

• Written May 7, 2006
Lucky Cafe: Mixed Luck for Breakfast

The Lucky Cafe is an old diner with counter seats, booths, and tables. The back wall is covered with framed awards -- best of this and best of that. According to the menu, everything is homemade.

Favorite Dish: I am very fond of corned beef hash, so when I saw on the menu, "This is the best corned beef hash you'll ever taste!" I knew what I wanted. I was disappointed. The hash was partly burnt, the poached eggs were watery (use a slotted spoon, guys!), and the packet of strawberry jelly was the consistency of a gummy bear.

The others in my party were very pleased with their breakfasts -- eggs and linguisa, vegetarian scramble with avocado and Swiss cheese, eggs over easy with hash browns and English muffin.

I guess it just wasn't my day.

Address: 21st and K Streets

Comparison: about average

Price: less than US$10

Rating: 3

Theme: Diner

• Updated Mar 14, 2004

Rixie

“Travel may be an addiction, but it's cheaper than drugs.”

Badges & Stats in Sacramento

Have you been to Sacramento?

Latest Activity in Sacramento