"Ocean Beach - Eclectic Seaside Town" Ocean Beach by Rixie
Ocean Beach Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 132 photos
Ocean Beach, 15 minutes from the San Diego Airport, is a crazy mixture of Santa Cruz surfer culture, Hawaiian flora, and Southern California weather, with a pinch of Haight-Ashbury to spice things up.
The beach offers clean sand and warm water and the opportunity to ride the waves or build sand castles; the town is chock full of places to eat and shop. You can buy an antique dresser, a chocolate-dipped ice cream cone, an elegant gown, and a tattoo in the same block.
It's a crowded, sometimes raucous place, where college students, families, middle-aged couples, aging hippies and street people share the same space. On one walk, I saw an Asian family fishing together on the pier (grandma in a big-brimmed straw hat, grandbaby with her own little pink fishing rod), a group of tanned surfer babes and dudes strutting their stuff, and musician playing on the seawall, a parrot perched on his guitar.
OB is not to everyone's taste -- those who prefer to hear only the quiet lapping of the waves would probably be happier in nearby Imperial Beach or Coronado. But visitors who like adventure, diversity, and the unexpected will enjoy spending some time (and money) in OB.
The water is warm, and the weather is tropical.
Newport Avenue is full of restaurants, bars, clubs, and shops. There's something for everyone.
- Pros:Beautiful weather, good food, beer, and energy
- Cons:Can be noisy
- In a nutshell:The Closest Thing to Hawaii You'll Find in California
The northernmost part of Ocean Beach is set aside as a dog park, which is fun for dogs and their owners. Note: Owners... more travel advice
One day when we were in OB, there was a children's surfing competition. It was so cute to see those pint-sized... more travel advice
Rixie's Related Pages
Ocean Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ocean Beach AKA O.B.!!"
- "Ocean Beach - Eclectic Seaside Town"
- "Ocean Beach- San Diego CA"
- "Ocean Beach"
- "The discoverer of California"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ocean Beach
- Hotels in Ocean Beach
- Transportation in Ocean Beach
- Nightlife in Ocean Beach
- Restaurants in Ocean Beach
- Shopping in Ocean Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Ocean Beach
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ocean Beach
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ocean Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ocean Beach
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Is El Cerrito, CA dangerous??"
- Commented on one of Rixie's Ocean Beach tips
- Wrote a Review Take Bucky to the Beach in Ocean Beach Things to Do
- updated a Ocean Beach Travel Page "Ocean Beach - Eclectic Seaside Town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ocean Beach - Eclectic Seaside Town"
Photos in Ocean BeachSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 50 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (57)
Latest Ocean Beach hotel reviews
- Ocean Beach Cottages
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 13, 2013