"Welcome to Freebeacher's Home Page" Freebeacher's Profile

Welcome to My Home Page

Hi everyone!! Welcome to my home page! Travel is the best education of all. University is great, but all the people I have met in the business world and the world at large that are the most well-rounded, tolerant, and enlightened are the most well travelled. I am from Massachusetts, USA but have been travelling around the world off and on for the last several years. I have always liked travel, but was inspired to do the big three year around the world trip by reading two books: "Work Your Way Around the World" , and "Teaching English Abroad", both by Susan Griffith, Vacation Work Publications. They literally changed my life! Both books are now in 2005 editions. I strongly suggest them to anyone wanting to work abroad! I started working my way around the world when the recession hit the US in 1990. I left the USA and crossed the Pacific on frequent flyer miles and went to Taiwan to teach English. I landed with USD100. in my pocket and got a job right away. It was much easier than finding a job in Massachusetts then. My travels later carried me on to Hong Kong, where I worked for a stock broker, then Australia, where I spent 8 months doing this and that, then on to Vienna, Austria, where I found private students to teach English to. From there I went on to Corfu in Greece and found a nice little frontisterion ( private language school) and lived in a small friendly backpacker hotel right above the beach. From Greece I hitched a ride on a semi trailer (lorry) full of grapes to London where I caught up with lots of travellers I met previously. Then, with a cheap bucket shop ticket like you can only find in London, I was off to the Canary Islands of Tenerife and Gran Canaria and taught more students. Eventually the grasp of the islands loosened and I was off to Seville to enjoy Tapas and more teaching, then, after 3 years, back to Massachusetts, only this time from the east over the Atlantic! This big trip was a few years ago so I don't have photos, but I do have lots of memories and advice for anyone who wants to try it. I have been to Australia five times-it is my favorite country so far and I want to migrate permanently! I was last there in March-April 2005 and will make a page soon! I have lived on Nantucket Island, Mass. for many years and consider that my adopted home. I also spent a year and a half on the quaint and scenic island of St. John in the US Virgin Islands, working in a restaurant. Since July 2004 I have been living on the tropical Hawaiian island of Kauai, you know, where Jurassic Park outdoor scenes were filmed. I am working on creating that page too! I am a naturist and an activist for that recreation choice. I feel the clothing-optional experience is the ultimate in relaxation, and being nude at logical and appropriate places like beaches, lakes and pools is the normal and correct way to swim and suntan. I have an extensive amount of resources and contacts available to anyone interested in nude beaches and resorts, just ask. Likewise, I include naturist beach information in my travel pages whenever possible. Please visit my pages and comment, and also don't forget to visit my Wish List, you may live there now and be able to inspire me with your suggestions! So, if any of these places and topics such as naturism, Kauai, St. John, Nantucket or anything else picque your interest, please feel free to email me with your questions and I will do my best to point you in the right direction. Aloha from Kauai!

• Intro Updated Jan 2, 2006

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!