"A Shopper's Paradise" Essen by whvcebu
Essen Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 773 photos
... one of my most favorite cities in the Rhine-Ruhr Area. The city greats arriving passengers at the main train terminal with a view to the Mövenpick Hotel which carries the neon signs: "Essen - The Shopping City".
Presently still too cold to sit outside, but the beautiful balcony/terrace on the first floor of the hotel invites to chat over some cool drinks during sunny days or warm summer nights.
After desolving the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation in 1806 the city of Essen became Prussian territory in 1813.
The Krupp steel factory in Essen was the biggest steel factory in the world in 1887.
Emperor Wilhelm I. came to visit Essen in 1896 and in 1898 the city unveiled this monument in honor of the Emperor at the same place where it stands today - The Burgplatz
Adjacent to the Monument of Emperor Wilhelm I a further landmark at the Brugplatz is the Cathedral of Essen. In the background a modern industrial building.
See more about it under Travellog Cathedral of Essen.
whvcebu's Related Pages
Essen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Essen, Cultural Capital 2010"
- "Center of the Ruhr Area Industrial Complex"
- "Opera and cycling (and coal-mining) in Essen"
- "Essentially Essen"
- "ESSEN KULINARISCH"
- "Welcome to Essen"
- "Industrial Beauty and green areas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essen
- Hotels in Essen
- Transportation in Essen
- Nightlife in Essen
- Restaurants in Essen
- Warnings and Dangers in Essen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essen
- 1 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Essen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essen
Photos in EssenSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Duisburg Intro, 19 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angeles City Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Berlin Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Makati Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krefeld Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Homburg vor der Höhe Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xanten Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beja Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues