"Visiting Central and Latin America" Provincia de San José by whvcebu
Provincia de San José Travel Guide: 582 reviews and 1,023 photos
Whereever you are in a restaurant in Costa Rica, if it doesn't have rice and beans, it isn't tico (other word for Costa Rican)! Rice and black beans are everyday foods and part of every Costa Rican's diet, whether gallo pinto (fried rice and beans cooked with spices) for breakfast, a casado for lunch, or a black bean soup (ugly looking but delicious) for dinner. The word casado literally means married man, and it is the name given to a big, hearty plate of rice and beans with meat, macarrones (noodles), maduros (sweet plantains), and cabbage and tomato salad, which wives would prepare for their husbands to take when they worked the fields. Tamales and chicharrones (deep-fried pork rind) are also typical foods. (Remindes me of the Cicaron of the Philippines) Comida típica (native dishes) in Costa Rica can best be described as tasty, not spicy. Salsa Lizano has become Costa Rica's number one condiment and you're almost guaranteed to find it on every table if it's not spicing up your meal already. Sodas, the small diners you can find at almost every corner, will become your best friend if you're looking for flavorful, home-style cooking at inexpensive prices.
The food is generally good and not expensive, whereas the restaurantes are larger and usually much more expensive. (Photo: courtesy of GA Cafe, Costa Rica)
whvcebu's Related Pages
Provincia de San José Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FUN CAPITAL OF THE WORLD"
- "Visiting Central and Latin America"
- "I lived in old San Jose"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de San José
- Hotels in Provincia de San José
- Transportation in Provincia de San José
- Nightlife in Provincia de San José
- Restaurants in Provincia de San José
- Shopping in Provincia de San José
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de San José
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de San José
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Provincia de San José?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de San José
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Duisburg Intro, 19 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angeles City Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Berlin Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Makati Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krefeld Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Homburg vor der Höhe Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xanten Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beja Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues