"Turriff - a very cozy city" Turriff by whvcebu

Turriff Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 42 photos

Aberdeenshire

Corporate matters were the reason to visit the upper parts of Scotland. Although I wished to have had the opportunity to make it up to the highlands I never had enough time to go further than Turriff in Aberdeenshire.

Traveling to Turriff, which is laying in a rather urban area, was usually a 50 minutes ride by car from the airport in Aberdeen.

Turriff is a small city and to me it looked like everyone was working in our factory. When staying overnight the most exciting on those business trips was when we met together with employees of all kinds in the evening in the restaurants of that small town. Frankly, until I got used to the scottish accent it took me quite some time. I was told and actually could sense by the number of restaurants that the town had more than twice as many ale and whisky houses than butchers.

History books reveal that the city is more than a 1000 years old and that the church tower of the former monastery is supposed to be still the original.

There seems to be only one major road that passes through Turriff. Therefore, traffic is immense and only in the evening it looks like the town is empty. Only then one can realize the beauty of the brick buildings.

• Last visit to Turriff: May 1984
  • Intro Written Apr 4, 2004

whvcebu

“Make Friends Around the World”

Badges & Stats in Turriff

Have you been to Turriff?

Latest Activity in Turriff