"Still belonging to Metro Manila" Las Pinas by whvcebu
Las Pinas Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 73 photos
Driving from Roxas Boulevard in Manila along the Manila bay towards South you will reach the old City of Las Piñas next. It was built by the Spaniards when they had occupied this country. There is nothing special in this formerly old fishermens residential area until it began to explode with new villages which were built since then. (My CPA tax accountant lives there as well) More and more people, who want to get out of the congested Metro Manila City decide to live in this old but modern city that gets a younger face yearly, more so since a highway leads directly to the metropolis. (They even have an ice stadium with an ice hockey team in this tropical city)
However, there is an old church, about 200 years old, that has a special magic force of attraction. It is the only Bamboo organ in the world I know of. Time takes its toll and the sound was not nice anymore, when I listened to it for the first time in 1973 after arrival for my assignment in the Philippines.
A couple of years later they dismantled the entire organ and each Bamboo pipe was sent to Germany for restauration to a famous organ manufacturing company.
After the organ's return and re-installation in the church of Las Piñas, several concerts were held with a famous organist from one of the cathedrals in Germany. The first concerts were given under great participation of public officials, artists, celebrities and VIPs. Such successful events stimulated the administration to hold concerts on a regular basis. The money and donations generated were and are all donated to a maintenance fund for the organ.
Nowadas one major music festival is held every year and hundreds of people are attending. The church overflows and listeners are also standing on the big plaza in front of the church, which is normally a parking space.
It is one of the MUST SEE (and listen to), if visiting the Philippines. At the church and in major department stores CDs with organ music as well as recordings from those concerts can be bought.
whvcebu's Related Pages
Las Pinas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our Neighboring City"
- "Las Pinas"
- "Las Pinas, Second Home"
- "Still belonging to Metro Manila"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Pinas
- Transportation in Las Pinas
- Restaurants in Las Pinas
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Las Pinas
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Las Pinas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Pinas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Duisburg Intro, 19 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angeles City Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Berlin Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Makati Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krefeld Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xanten Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Homburg vor der Höhe Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Beja Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues