"A City with more than 2000 Years history" Top 5 Page for this destination Xanten by whvcebu
Xanten Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 124 photos
This ancient Roman town of Xanten is situated in the northern part of North Rhine Westphalia along the river Rhine. Only about 19,500 inhabitants living here on the left bank of this beautiful river. What makes this little city so unique is the great history that goes back to the Roman empire.
Though only about 60 km away from my residence I haven't been there at all due to my long absence in Far East. I enjoyed the discovery of this city very much.
Walk through living history as you stroll through the partly pedestrianised town centre.
The cathedral and "Immunity", the town fortifications, with the green belt of defence ditches round the town walls, the town windmill, the Gothic House (gotisches Haus), the Poor Maidens House (Arme-Mägde-Haus) and other sights are important witnesses to a remarkable past.
Dating from the second half of the 15th century, this town house is a beautiful example of the late gothic architecture which were typical for the market square in Xanten’s early days. The wealth of the original owner can be seen not only by the many large windows, which almost cover the entire facade, and the stepped gable with the pinnacles set on it, but also in the use of natural stone.
Now the ground floor houses a nice restaurant and people enjoy sitting outside during warm sommer days.
A very stylish atmosphere Excellent buffet for lunch Applestrudel more travel advice
Historical restaurant in the building of the Archaeological Park. Waitresses and waiters are in old Roman dresses,... more travel advice
whvcebu's Related Pages
Xanten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A City with more than 2000 Years history"
- "Xanten, Germany"
- "Siegfried Doesn't Live Here Anymore!"
- "Along the River"
- "Xanten - via Romana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xanten
- Hotels in Xanten
- Transportation in Xanten
- Restaurants in Xanten
- Shopping in Xanten
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xanten
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Xanten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xanten
- Wrote a Review Having Lunch on the Street Restaurant in Xanten Restaurants
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Travelogues"
- Uploaded a Photo to "One of the Oldest Buildings in Xanten"
- updated a Xanten Travel Page "A City with more than 2000 Years history"
- Commented on one of truus_s's Xanten travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Duisburg Intro, 19 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angeles City Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Berlin Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Makati Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krefeld Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Homburg vor der Höhe Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xanten Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beja Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues