"The Land Eternal............Who Knew??!!!" Vanuatu by Geisha_Girl

Vanuatu Travel Guide: 591 reviews and 1,013 photos

Our search for the "Timeless Islands"

Very rarely when I travel do I NOT read up a little on my destinations. Not so much for what tourist sites to see, but I always just like to know what to look forward to upon arrival. What language is spoken, what the landscape looks like, etc......

However, when I was informed that Vanuatu was one of the side trips during our Round the World adventure, I made a conscious decision to not do any research.

Vanuatu had always been mysterious to me........and seemed so very very far away. In fact, it was my point of reference for something that was "too far out of reach." My favorite getaway line would be, "Yep, I'll sell all my stock, pack up the bulldog, and buy an island off the coast of Vanuatu!"

Where the heck was Vanuatu? I had no idea........and THAT was the only thing I looked up before departure. I had to look at a map!

Stay tuned for the next SURVIVOR: Vanuatu!

Vanuatu lies northeast of New Caledonia and about 2500km northeast of Sydney.

It is comprised of 83 very diverse islands. Port Vila is the capital and is situated on the island of Efate.

I expected a very primitive environment upon landing in Vanuatu, but to my surprise we were welcomed with a very lively, hustle and bustle community and a beautiful blue lagoon.

During our stay, we were informed by the locals that "Hollywood" has hit the islands. The crew of the famous REALITY TV hit, "Survivor" were roaming the islands setting up for the next season.

Darn! I just missed the casting call !!! ;-))

Don't forget the Sunglasses!

Pack the Rock Star glasses next to the mosquito repellent! ;-)

• Last visit to Vanuatu: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 27, 2004

• hunwagner's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 1:03 AM

This country is my favourite in the South Pacific, and may just be my next VT page to build. We also got a stringband welcome at customs by grass-skirted men - an excellent intro, as you said! :-)

• ChrisRJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 7:59 AM

Hyperlinks will be my next lesson, Oh Wise Oracle! Also I think I will follow your lead of frequent subtle changes to the Homepage. My roommate is from New Zealand and so a trip down there in November is a "Go"!

• prazlin's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2004 at 5:57 AM

wow, you visited a lot of places who were on the top of my 'wishlist' ;-). Thanks for all the detailed descriptions...especially about Vanuatu

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 11:20 PM

Thank you for showing some of Vanuatu. It is a place I have always dreamed of!

• TravelCool's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 6:59 PM

Singing reminds me of the band we wanted to start. I'm ready when you are. I thought of a name that sounds cool to me. The Virtuals! What do you think of the name?

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 11:52 AM

diverse and surprising . . . two hugely important travel words.

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2004 at 8:55 PM

Poor mosquitoes... they must fly a lot of miles to arrive in Vanuatu!!!

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2004 at 3:52 AM

Great start! I was in Vanuatu at the start of May...I can't wait to see Survivor too...Albert at Lelepa Island told us some stories about the show being there... :)

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 10:47 PM

People in Peking use Venezuela as being synonymous with headhunting cannibals. I'm glad to see the only thing that got eaten in Vanuatu was a croissant!

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2004 at 12:32 AM

People in Venezuela use Pekin as a synonimus of far away. I used Vanuatu. Am I right? (-;

Geisha_Girl

“If you always heed the fears of others, you will never end up doing anything different”

Badges & Stats in Vanuatu

Have you been to Vanuatu?

Latest Activity in Vanuatu