"Time in New England" Connecticut by Geisha_Girl
Connecticut Travel Guide: 1,570 reviews and 4,279 photos
The Summers of My Youth. Some of the fondest memories of my college years were the summers I spent in New England. My sister and her husband moved their family back east to Connecticut so my brother-in-law could run a very prominent medical company based in New Haven.
Each summer they invited me to stay with them and there was always a good-paying job ready for me. It was NEPOTISM at its very finest!! I didn’t mind at all and the job enabled me to have a pocket full of cash I saved for the school year.
I made the very most of my summers there. New England, to me, always epitomized the true Americana style that we saw on television or read in books. The Oceanside lighthouses, the fresh lobster, the Cape Cod style homes……..everything screamed out “Red, White, and Blue” there. So much rich history was abundant in these little New England towns. They were surrounded by cemeteries where headstones were dating back to the Revolutionary War.
My lunch breaks at work were spent munching on a tuna sandwich in front of a Van Gogh original at the Yale Art Museum, or the remaining bones of a Tyrannosaurus Rex at the Museum of Natural History. Both of these exquisite landmarks were just blocks away from where I worked.
My weekends were spent either hopping the Metro-North train for an hour and a half ride into Manhattan for a day of shopping and theatre, or borrowing the car and taking a cruise up to Newport, Rhode Island…or Boston. That was a good reason for me to make return trips each summer.
There was always something to do for me. Even the nightlife in New Haven was a blast. The pubs and bars around Yale was the place to be for a 19 year-old college student (with a fake ID!) I really made the most of it. That was another good reason for me to make return trips each summer.
This picture is of my nephew as a baby with his dog Camellia. A cocker spaniel. Purebred Americana. The scene was photographed in the backyard of my sister’s home. Yes….no fences, no gates. Lush 3 acres of open space behind a beautiful English Tudor style home. The fact that I could sleep in a bedroom that was the size of my entire one-bedroom college apartment with a bathroom that was the size of my neighbor’s apartment, was the BEST reason for me to keep returning every summer…….
Life in New England was not bad at all.
- Pros:Time in New England took me away.....to long rocky beaches....you by the bay
- Cons:Those are the lyrics to a BARRY MANILOW song!
- In a nutshell:Okay, okay.....so I'm a "closet" Barry Manilow fan!
You can't go through any town in New England without sampling a taste of their fresh lobster! Coming from California,... more travel advice
Geisha_Girl's Related Pages
Connecticut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Why not Come and Visit....."
- "Gateway to New England"
- "PLACE BESIDE A LONG RIVER"
- "Wineries, Ski Resorts, Beverly Hills East"
- "Connecticut ~ Known as.. The Nutmeg State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Connecticut
- Hotels in Connecticut
- Transportation in Connecticut
- Nightlife in Connecticut
- Restaurants in Connecticut
- Shopping in Connecticut
- Warnings and Dangers in Connecticut
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Connecticut
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Connecticut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Connecticut
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 194 reviews, 224 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 58 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nepal Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Île Saint-Barthélemy Intro, 13 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yountville Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanna Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (232)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Top Connecticut hotels
- Mystic Hotels
- 145 Reviews - 449 Photos
- Uncasville Hotels
- 114 Reviews - 438 Photos
- Hartford Hotels
- 158 Reviews - 220 Photos
- Danbury Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 50 Photos
- New Haven Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 340 Photos
- Manchester Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Stamford Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 146 Photos
- Stratford Hotels
- 1 Review - 5 Photos
- Newington Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Hamden Hotels
- 1 Review
- Branford Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Mianus Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Waterbury Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Meriden Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos