"Up at the Villa" Top 5 Page for this destination Positano by Geisha_Girl

Positano Travel Guide: 305 reviews and 638 photos

The Talented Mr. Masseuse

It's amazing how this trip to the Amalfi Coast evolved from a simple visit to a charismatic masseuse in London. All I remember was that his name was James. He was a traveler who followed the "surf." He had those crystal blue eyes and the miracle hands of a Greek god.

As he worked his magic down my vertabrae, we discussed our world travel experiences. I mentioned how I just came back from Northern Italy and how I was studying the Italian language. He asked if I had ever been to the Amalfi Coast.........this region was unfamiliar to me at the time. I knew Capri and Naples but never heard of Positano, Ravello, Ischia.

He said I MUST visit this area. It was where they had filmed those beach scenes in the film, "The Talented Mr. Ripley." I remember the film and how I wondered where that spectacular area was.

The beauty about traveling is that you can meet a person for just a few minutes and they can have an impact on you that lasts a lifetime. I left the spa with a body melted like "buttah" and a brand new goal.

I must get to the Amalfi Coast!

6 months later, I am achieving this goal and I'm taking my crew with me.

I look forward to hanging with my "amici," fabulous dinner parties at home, sailing the blue coastal waters, and NO TAN LINES!!

I think I'll send James the masseuse a postcard from the villa........

No words can clearly define the beauty of Positano and the Amalfi Coast of Italy. Hopefully my pictures will. I tried to capture every essence of the lively character of these breathtaking towns and the spirit of our experience during our 2 week stay there.

They say that how far we travel in life matters far less than the memories we collect along the way. I will forever have the fondest memories of Positano.

John Steinbeck once wrote:

"Positano bites deep. It is a dream that isn't quite real when you are there and becomes beckoningly real after you are gone."

A Passion for Positano

It is true that "It just keeps getting better and better".............but it will be hard to imagine how it can get any better than this.

• Pros:The town captivates you at every angle and the locals treat you like royalty
  • Cons:None. None at all.......
  • In a nutshell:It truly is La Dolce Vita
  • Last visit to Positano: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2003

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Totally agree with you about the Blue Grotto but I was wondering how al fresco dining at Amalfi could be considered "off the beaten path"?

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 10:22 PM

The amalfi coast is truly amazing and I loved visiting it too. Great page you have here ;-)

• Sep 19, 2006 at 10:58 PM

who cares about my little brother. i want one for MYSELF! its all about me dammit! :) i see mirrr is already excited about positano. ive already planned around august for it :)

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2006 at 10:27 AM

Yes you are of course right once again...I have to keep telling myself that its just as you describe...Multi-purpose...

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 4:18 AM

Amalfi has the most beautiful coastline in the world, I think. It's just amazing. We drove from Positano...looped around and then up to Rome. Positano lovely as well.

• Feb 16, 2006 at 6:49 PM

Your Positano pages are incredible. I spent a month there last summer and your pages brought back so many memories...although I didn't see any familiar faces in the pictures.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2006 at 5:31 PM

Great tips Geisha Girl! Thanks for sharing.

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2006 at 2:42 AM

It looks sooooo beautiful

• xstacey's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2006 at 5:52 PM

What's up, GG! It was great to meet and have dinner in Paris! Now we'e looking into a possible Italy trip so i was checking out your page - those villas sound great!

• Dec 18, 2005 at 1:28 AM

Hi G_G! Looks like you were having a great time here.... Have a fab sunday!

Geisha_Girl

“If you always heed the fears of others, you will never end up doing anything different”

Badges & Stats in Positano

Have you been to Positano?

Latest Activity in Positano