"Maupiti - Island of the Cristal Sunsets" Maupiti by Geisha_Girl

Maupiti Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 70 photos

The Re-Awakening of Ofai'iti and Kiri

Ever since I could remember, my dream of visiting the Tahitian islands was always highlighted with the desire to visit the island of Bora Bora. All of the tourist brochures I read would describe Bora Bora as THE symbol of Polynesia.

Reading further, I saw how many high-priced resorts, cruises, excursions were being offered on this island.

When I was first introduced to the island of Maupiti, it was described to me as "How Bora Bora used to be 50 years ago.........before all the tourists and commercialism flocked there."

That sounded more like my kinda paradise.

Maupiti is still an island of unspoiled natural beauty, and offered the kind of remote, tranquil environment that I had been craving for from these islands.

If you look at the two islands from above, you could see the similiarites in the topography..........same incredible lagoon surrounded by lush green mountainscapes.

But I don't think we would have ever had an entire island all to ourselves if we were on Bora Bora.

That's what Maupiti had to offer us.......our own private paradise.

• Last visit to Maupiti: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 4, 2004

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 11:45 PM

Night feeding of the sharks must have been a great experience ;-)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 4:03 PM

great page. I would love to see the sharks at night!

• dannebro's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 12:02 PM

excellent !

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 12:08 AM

I am jealoussssssssssssssssss I cna understnad you did nt wnated to moveeee.......

• Johnny_CA's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2004 at 11:36 PM

Wow you didn't panic when you saw sharks while snorkeling? As for me, I panicked when I thought I saw deadly fish...turned out to be my yellow snorkeling fins. They can be dangerous too ya know!

• melissa_bel's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 10:22 AM

I'm glad I dropped by. I had never heard of Maupiti before. Glad to know there's still a piece of unspoiled French Polynesia left.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 4:23 PM

Fabulous page, this sounds like the perfect place to get away from it all! Jeanine really sounds wonderful, & I really enjoyed the shark-feeding story : )

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2004 at 9:24 PM

Girl, Michener would be proud of you! Loved the excellent descriptions of Jeanine and her motu. Parfait!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2004 at 7:36 PM

Everything sounds like a great experience ! It's a must go !

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2004 at 8:46 AM

Let the champagne flow !! You only live once to taste this honey of mothers nature !

Geisha_Girl

“If you always heed the fears of others, you will never end up doing anything different”

Badges & Stats in Maupiti

Have you been to Maupiti?

Latest Activity in Maupiti