"Wishfully....Eventually.....Finally" Île Saint-Barthélemy by Geisha_Girl
Île Saint-Barthélemy Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 175 photos
....more than a decade ago when I was reading an article in Vanity Fair about a woman, whose lucrative career was working as "Party Planner for the Rock Stars," was deciding on how to plan out her own party and holiday.
The whole angle of the article was, "How does one who's famous for entertaining famous people----entertain herself?"
She decided to gather her group of fabulous friends and celebrate on the magical island of St. Barth's.
I remember reading the article about their sailing trips through those crystal blue waters, and the photos of those pristine beaches and thinking, "That would be an absolute DREAM to be on this island surrounded by some of my favorite people, on a sailboat, and just soaking it all in. I want that magic!"
Going there. Doing that. ;-)
There were months of anticipation leading up to this trip, bringing friends from all over onboard to help ring in another new and exciting year for me. After what has proven to be one hectic year for ALL of us: Extremely busy work schedules, deadlines, conference calls, new job roles, back and forth trips to Europe, marathon training, wedding engagements, "New Mommy" duties.......this was a MUCH needed and well-deserved holiday in the Tropics for everyone.
As mentioned above, St. Barths has long been a desired destination for me. When I made the decision that this was to be the year I celebrated my birthday there in *Bling* fashion, it didn't take long for everyone to sign up for the trip. "Just tell us when, what to bring, and we're there!" are the responses I received.
The more I learned about the island, the more curious I became. The more planning I got involved with, the more exhilarated I became. The closer it got to the trip, the more excited I became. Couldn't wait to dip my toes in the sand and be spoiled by this luxurious place!
I was a bit nervous about picking August as the time of year to travel to this area as this is typically the beginning of the hurricane season in the Caribbean. My anxiety was smoothed over by the advice given by the friendly folks on the St. Bartstalk Forum. It's a fantastic site and you'll find everything you need to know about the island on that site! They guided me to the best beaches, the best nightlife, and offered encouraging words about traveling in August, which got us the best BANG for our buck because it was considered 'low season' in this area. It was amazing to meet these folks from all over who congregated on this site to just talk about St. Barths. I already knew there was something simply amazing about this place even before I arrived....and having just come back from there, I am now a true believer in its hypnotic spell.
We discovered the MAGIC of St. Barths.....
Being on St. Barths reminded me so much of being in the French Riviera, except with whiter, sandier beaches, and bluer water! All the locals speak French, but welcome your conversations in English wherever you go. You can stop anybody in the street, in the shops, in the restaurants with whatever question you have about places to go, and they will always lead you to their favorite spots. It has all the beauty and sophistication that St. Tropez has to offer, but carries that same small island "warmth of Aloha" that I miss so much from places like Tahiti and Hawaii.
I couldn't have selected a better time to experience this island. August proved to be just the right time of year to be there-----the crowds on the beaches were minimal----but come nightfall, the restaurants and nightclubs were on fire.....the joints were jumpin' ! We couldn't believe how much fun we were having non-stop! It gave us a good opportunity to get to know the locals without having to climb over tons of tourists.
And the weather? Just enough clouds to cover the blistering hot Caribbean sun so we don't scorch while laying on the beach sipping our mojitos----Just the right amount of wind to sail us along those crystal blue waters----and just the right amount of early morning tropical showers to hum us to sleep....
- In a nutshell:Pure heaven
One of the beauties of St. Barths is the fact that it's such a cool, laid-back island. You go there hoping you are going... more travel advice
St. Barths may not be the easiest island to get to----quite a daunting task to finally get there, but once you do, it is... more travel advice
Geisha_Girl's Related Pages
Île Saint-Barthélemy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Barth"
- "St. Barthelemy"
- "St. Barts"
- "St Barth pour les intimes..."
- "Gustavia and Saint Jean beach"
- "Elegant and exclusive"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Hotels in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Transportation in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Nightlife in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Restaurants in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Shopping in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Warnings and Dangers in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- 13 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Île Saint-Barthélemy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Posted in Travel Bend Forum "Re: Favorite Hikes"
- Uploaded a Video to Île Saint-Barthélemy
- Commented on one of xstacey's Île Saint-Barthélemy travel pages
- Wrote a Review Have a 'Stress-Free' Trip with Premier IV in Île Saint-Barthélemy Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Have a 'Stress-Free' Trip with Premier IV"
- updated a Île Saint-Barthélemy Travelogue "We are never gonna survive-unless we're a little.."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 194 reviews, 224 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 58 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nepal Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Île Saint-Barthélemy Intro, 13 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yountville Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanna Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos