"Seamandrew's Schafberg Page" Schafberg by seamandrew
Schafberg Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 157 photos
Schafberg (Sheep Mountain) is a mountain located in the province of Upper Austria right where it borders the province of Salzburg. It is called sheep mountain because from a specific angle (from the Attersee) the summit does look like a sheep. It stands 1783 meters tall (about 5850 feet high).
The easiest way to find it on a map is to search for the Wolfgangsee Lake (also known as the Abersee) and the Attersee and Mondsee Lakes. Schafberg sits right in between the 3. The towns of Sankt Wolfgang (im Salzkammergut) and Sankt Gilgen are also good markers.
Once you make it to Schafberg (the best way to approach it is from the south which requires a long drive around the Wolfgangsee) you can either choose to hike all the way up to the Schafbergspitze (Sheep Mountain Summit), to which an early start will prove most useful, or you can take the easy way up, via the 40 minute ride on the Schafbergbahn (Sheep Mountain train).
One at the top, the view is spectacular. Rumor has it that on the clearest of days, you can see 12 lakes (among all the many mountians). The farthest is said to be the Chiemsee over in Germany. I didn't see that far, but it was a cloudy day when we visited. The 12 lakes are:
Zeller See (Irrsee)
As a traveler to Austria, seeing the Alps and its beautiful glacial lakes is on everyone's to do list. I can think of no better place to "tickle your fancy" as they say. A visit here is a memory that will last a lifetime!
- Pros:Amazing view from the summit
- Cons:Get's chilly at the top.
- In a nutshell:Kodak moment!!!!
Without a doubt, the best thing about Schafberg is it's location. As the old saying goes, "Location, location,... more travel advice
So, aside from the beautfiul view of the lakes and mountain, there one more thing worth looking at at Schafberg. That of... more travel advice
- See All Getting to Schafberg
- It can get cold in the Alps.
- Look out for them clouds!
seamandrew's Related Pages
Schafberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Schafberg Page"
- "Schafberg - The Hills are Alive"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schafberg
- Hotels in Schafberg
- Transportation in Schafberg
- Restaurants in Schafberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Schafberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schafberg
- 13 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Schafberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schafberg
Photos in SchafbergSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos