"Seamandrew's Gmunden Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden by seamandrew
Gmunden Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 113 photos
The town of Gmunden (population 12,000) is know for its castles and ceramincs. It was established in 909 and received a town charter in 1278. Gmunden was a former administration center for both the Habsburg monarchy and the salt trade. It is no wonder why this town, lying on the picture-postcard setting on the northern shore of Traunsee is known not only for it's history, romantic setting and ceramics, but also for it's traditional cures (salt-water baths).
Gmunden is a typical Austrian summer resort. Architecturally, it also has much to offer with it's Renaissance-era Town Hall with it's porcelain-tiled glockenspiel, as well as a number of fine townhouses and numerous castles. The town has much to offer the visitor and all are encouraged to visit.
- Pros:Located on the beautiful Traunsee, rich in history and architecture, lovely ceramic work.
- Cons:Streets are narrow but parking is available in underground lot), a bit pricey.
- In a nutshell:A walk along the Esplanada is unforgettable.
The Schiller Linde Baum (Schiller Basswood tree) is one of the most prominent trees along Gmunden's Esplanade and has... more travel advice
Several shops carry the Gmundner Keramik. Be sure to pick up some of this beautiful local craft. They have hundreds of... more travel advice
- The narrow streets of Gmunden
- See All Gmundner Keramik, simply Gmunden
- See All Sailing on the Traunsee
seamandrew's Related Pages
Gmunden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Gmunden Page"
- "GMUNDEN IS IN A LOVELY LOCATION!"
- "I really didn't want to go............"
- "Gmunden - Lake Traunsee - Schloss Orth"
- "Paradise on Earth"
- "An Austrian town with the Flair of the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gmunden
- Hotels in Gmunden
- Transportation in Gmunden
- Restaurants in Gmunden
- Shopping in Gmunden
- Warnings and Dangers in Gmunden
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gmunden
- 23 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Gmunden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gmunden
Photos in GmundenSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Gmunden hotel reviews
- Seehotel Schwan
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013