Maui Off The Beaten Path Tips by seamandrew Top 5 Page for this destination
Maui Off The Beaten Path: 85 reviews and 147 photos
Hidden Cemetery near Hana.
You'll find lots of trails and paths to walk along in Maui. Just be sure that you know where it is that path or trail is taking you. At times you might encounter private property closed to the public or sacred ground as we encountered. When we encountered this cemetery near the Red Sand beach in Hana , we turned back as it seemed the only way through was to walk over some burial spots. We chose not to disrespect the people buried there. I must say this, I would love for my final resting ground to be here. What better way to pass eternity than by looking out into the blue waters of the Pacific.
One of countless waterfalls along the Hana Highway
When driving on the Hana Highway, it seems that almost every corner presents you with a spectacular view of the Pacific Ocean or a small yet majestic waterfall. Try not to make every single stop or you will never get to your destination. However, make a couple of stops. Many of these little treasures are well worth the visit.
University of Hawaii Lunar and Solar Observatory
Unfortunately, the observatory is off limits but the you can get fairly close when you get to the top of Haleakala Crater's peak. The US Air Force and the University of Hawaii run this Astronomical Observatory jointly. The Air Force uses their 12-foot diameter scope to optically sweep space, tracking space junk that could collide with existing satellites. I read that it could spot objects the size of a golf ball! Astronomers also bounce laser beams off retro-reflectors left on the moon by the Apollo astronauts in the 1970's. By timing the reflection, they can measure the speed of continental drift. So enjoy the sight from a distance. Otherwise, face being "abducted."
More Reviews (75)
- See All One of Maui's Finest
- See All Relaxation, top of the itenirary.
- See All Passion Fruit Blossom
- See All Wailea Beach
- See All The Trilogy Catamarrans
seamandrew's Related Pages
Maui Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Maui Page"
- "whitneyone's Maui"
- "Visiting the Valley Isle"
- "Magnificent Maui"
- "Aloha Nui Loa...Fondest Regards...Much Love"
- "Visiting Hawaii's Valley Island: Maui"
- "The injured travelers guide to Maui"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maui
- Hotels in Maui
- Transportation in Maui
- Nightlife in Maui
- Restaurants in Maui
- Shopping in Maui
- Warnings and Dangers in Maui
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maui
- 78 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Maui?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maui
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (45)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Beaches and Coastlines- 12 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Activities and Attractions- 10 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Hana- 8 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Water Sports- 4 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Ka'anapali- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- The Shops at Wailea- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Lahaina Cannery Mall- 1 Review, 3 Photos
- Whalers Village in Kaanapali- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Hawaiian Flowers/Trees/Wildlife- 1 Review, 3 Photos