"Seamandrew's Linz Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Linz by seamandrew
Linz Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 452 photos
Lying on both sides of the famous Danube (hence making it a busy Danube port), the city of Linz is Austria's third largest city. Not only is the city one of Austria's most important industrial centers (iron, VOEST steel, chemicals), it is also a city full of history, art, technological advances and many cultural gems. The city's roots stretch back to before the time of the Romans, whose records mention "Lentia" for the first time in AD 410. The name is of Celtic origin, and it is even claimed that the site was settled in Neolithic times.
Within the city, the attractive historic part of town has preserved its mostly Baroque appearance and Biedermeier façades, and as a result, it's a perfect place to just meander through the many side streets and the explore the huge Hauptplatz (main square) which is the largest enclosed square in Austria. Also great is just relaxing at one of the many cafés!
Outside the city center, you find many things to see as well. The area surrounding Linz has many historic sites, excellent trails for hiking and biking, and countless towns with cultural treasures of their own. As the capital of the Upper Austrian province, it serves as an administrative center. While an administrative center and industrious city may not sound like the ideal places to visit, Linz makes up for it greatly by being at the forefront of new art and new technology as well as preserving its historical wealth. It is truly a lovely city on the Danube and well worth a visit.
- Pros:New meets old in Linz and it's a pedestrian paradise!
- Cons:The belching smoke stacks do detract from the city's beauty.
- In a nutshell:Arguably one of Austria's most charming cities!
Serving as the seat of Upper Austria's provincial govenor, parliament and government, this Renaissance style structure... more travel advice
Cafe Jentschke is a place Elisabeth and I stopped to take a break. We only had some refreshments with some... more travel advice
seamandrew's Related Pages
Linz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Linz Page"
- "A Winter's Day in Linz"
- "Hitler's Favourite City"
- "Linz - European Capital of Culture 2009 !"
- "Linz Page"
- "Nice Small City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Linz
- Hotels in Linz
- Transportation in Linz
- Nightlife in Linz
- Restaurants in Linz
- Shopping in Linz
- Warnings and Dangers in Linz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Linz
- 24 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Linz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Linz
Photos in LinzSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos