"seamandrew's Salzburg Page" Salzburg by seamandrew
Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,583 reviews and 5,951 photos
Salzburg is arguably Austria's most beautiful city. Known as "The Stage of the World", it was the setting for the famed film about the von Trapp family, The Sound of Music, it was the birthplace and residence of Mozart, it is a city that serves a vibrant cultural center and aside from Vienna, is the only other place to get the authentic and famous Sacher Torter directly from the maker. The shopping in Salzburg is also quite diverse and selections vary from a small shop where you can buy eggs which are elaborately hand painted to make awesome Christmas ornaments to today's latest fashions (or yesterday's traditional garbs). The number of craft shops, restaurants, and fashion boutiques make it a veritable shoppers paradise.
In the winter, Salzburg becomes a city devoted to Christmas. From Christkindlmarkts to Gluehwein, you will enjoy it's traditionally authentic Christmas flair. Winter sports stir up a big commotion especially with the beautiful snow capped mountains that flank the city from the west, south, and east. Look to spend at least 3 days in Salzburg to get the most out of it.
Salzburg also serves as the provincial capital of the province bearing the same name. As such, there are many government buildings in town serving in an administrative capacity.
Salzburg is also forever famous thanks to the Sound of Music, to Mozart, the Festung, and the Salzburger Festspiele. You can expect there will always be tourist about as I have experienced from my first visit in 1999 through my most recent visit (and I've been back many times). This is a city sure to capture the heart of almost every visitor.
- Pros:Austria's most beautiful city
- Cons:A bit pricey but otherwise great!
- In a nutshell:Salzburg is my favorite city in Austria
The Original Sacher Torte shop is a branch of the original shop in Vienna. The Hotel Sacher, which claims rights to the... more travel advice
Who could imagine a more perfect location for a palace, but right inside the beautiful Mirabellgarten, is the Schloß... more travel advice
seamandrew's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- "Mozart Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 20 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
Photos in SalzburgSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos