"Seamandrew's Steyr Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Steyr by seamandrew
Steyr Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 271 photos
The old picturesque city of Steyr is situated at the confluence of the Steyr River and the Enns River. Here, the medieval Old Town offers an impressively harmonious appearance. Steyr's history is deeply rooted in it's iron work, but the city has also played host to famous composers like Anton Bruckner and Franz Schubert both of whom came to the wealthy industrial city of Steyr and wrote some of their most famous compositions. These illustrate just a small sample of the rich history of the city.
The iron industry has been the backbone of Steyr's prosperity since the Middle Ages. Steyr even made armaments in WWI and WWII and as a result was bombed for its trouble in 1944. After the war, during the Allied occupation, it was a frontier town between the US and Soviet Zones. Despite the heavy industry, and the wars, Steyr still maintains an attractive town center.
A third, but much smaller river, the Ramingbach also joins the Enns a bit further up from Steyr which makes for a lot of water flowing in the direction of Steyr and the surrounding area. The result is sometimes catastrophic floods which engulf the city bringing it and areas around it to a standstill. Fortunately, the city has dealt with floods for so long that they seem quite adept at preparing for and handling them, as evidenced in the most recent floods of 2002.
Steyr is a lovely town that is worth a visit for anyone visiting the Traunviertel part of Upper Austria. It's Old Town charm, coupled with it's scenic location make it a highlight on anyone's itinerary. I for one will remember Steyr not only for all the city itself has to offer, but also as the place of my first VT meeting with Globetrott (Michael).
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, picturesque setting, rich history.
- Cons:Parking can be a pain.
- In a nutshell:A lovely Austrian city with lots of history.
I was not a guest of this hotel, but thanks to Michael, our very own VT'er, 'globetrott', Elisabeth and I got an... more travel advice
The Bummerlhaus a symbol of the town with its gothic appearance and steep gable. In its present form, it dates back to... more travel advice
seamandrew's Related Pages
Steyr Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Steyr Page"
- "a planned detour I would have never missed..."
- "VT meet in Steyr"
- "HISTORICAL STEYR"
- "Steyr - small town, big architecture"
- "Greg's (gkitzmil's ) Steyr Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Steyr
- Hotels in Steyr
- Transportation in Steyr
- Restaurants in Steyr
- Shopping in Steyr
- Warnings and Dangers in Steyr
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Steyr
- 22 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Steyr?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Steyr
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Your travel plans for 2003"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Just two more pictures I wanted to share."
- updated a Steyr Travelogue "Just two more pictures I wanted to share."
- Wrote a Review Fine accomodations in Steyr in Steyr Hotels
- Commented on one of Martin_S.'s Steyr travel pages
Photos in SteyrSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos