Barcelona Sports & Outdoors Tips by seamandrew Top 5 Page for this destination
Barcelona Sports & Outdoors: 98 reviews and 153 photos
The Estadi Olimpic is prepared for nonsports event
The Estadi Olimpic was built for the 1929 Universal Exposition. Its opening football (soccer) match was a victory for the Catalan side against Bolton Wanderers--little known fact I got from my guidebook. It remained open until the Mediterranean Games in 1955, then fell into disrepair. Extensive works for the 1992 Olympics involved lowering the arena by 11 meters to creat the extra seating needed for 55,000 spectators. Most of the track and field events and teh opening and closing ceremonies were held here (remember the archer lighting the torch way above the stadium?).
Today the stadium is used for mutiple events. Here you see it being prepared for an event sponsored by "La Caixa" a large Barcelona bank.
Directions: on the summit of Montjuic. Bus 51 or Metro: Espanya, and then take the escalators
Camp Nou, the mother of all stadiums!
Without a doubt, the Camp Nou Stadium is a must for lovers of football (soccer as we call it here in the states). It opened in 1957 and holds 100,000 spectators, and has been named a 5-star stadium, the highest distinction awarded by the UEFA, due to the quality of its facilities. As a visitor, you get to the see the stadium through the player's eyes and gain access to the dressing room area, the pitch, and sit on the benches where the world's top footballers have been. Americans won't be too interested in this, but Europeans will jump on this place!
Address: Aristides Maillol, 12-18
Directions: Metro Collblanc Line 5 (blue)
Phone: +34 93 4963600
More Reviews (91)
- Only suggestions
- Be aware of your belongings
- See All Salvador Dalí
- See All Plaça de Gaudí
- See All For those stubborn Americans!
- See All Sagrat Cor
seamandrew's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "The capital of County of Barcelona"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 93 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Your travel plans for 2003"
- Commented on one of Kristina1701's Barcelona travel pages
- Wrote a Review Only suggestions about Cameras and Extra Film in Barcelona What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (127)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (45)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Sagrada Familia- 471 Reviews, 1,055 Photos
- Parc Guell- 324 Reviews, 688 Photos
- Las Ramblas- 182 Reviews, 301 Photos
- Casa Milà - La Pedrera- 187 Reviews, 358 Photos
- Tibidabo- 53 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Barri Gotic - Gothic Quarter- 102 Reviews, 212 Photos
- Plaça Reial- 54 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Casa Batlló- 137 Reviews, 288 Photos
- Montjuic- 73 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Magic Fountain - Font Màgica- 63 Reviews, 120 Photos
See All Barcelona Things to Do