Barcelona Sports & Outdoors Tips by seamandrew Top 5 Page for this destination
Barcelona Sports & Outdoors: 104 reviews and 166 photos
The Estadi Olimpic is prepared for nonsports event
The Estadi Olimpic was built for the 1929 Universal Exposition. Its opening football (soccer) match was a victory for the Catalan side against Bolton Wanderers--little known fact I got from my guidebook. It remained open until the Mediterranean Games in 1955, then fell into disrepair. Extensive works for the 1992 Olympics involved lowering the arena by 11 meters to creat the extra seating needed for 55,000 spectators. Most of the track and field events and teh opening and closing ceremonies were held here (remember the archer lighting the torch way above the stadium?).
Today the stadium is used for mutiple events. Here you see it being prepared for an event sponsored by "La Caixa" a large Barcelona bank.
Directions: on the summit of Montjuic. Bus 51 or Metro: Espanya, and then take the escalators
Camp Nou, the mother of all stadiums!
Without a doubt, the Camp Nou Stadium is a must for lovers of football (soccer as we call it here in the states). It opened in 1957 and holds 100,000 spectators, and has been named a 5-star stadium, the highest distinction awarded by the UEFA, due to the quality of its facilities. As a visitor, you get to the see the stadium through the player's eyes and gain access to the dressing room area, the pitch, and sit on the benches where the world's top footballers have been. Americans won't be too interested in this, but Europeans will jump on this place!
Address: Aristides Maillol, 12-18
Directions: Metro Collblanc Line 5 (blue)
Phone: +34 93 4963600
More Reviews (91)
- Only suggestions
- Be aware of your belongings
- See All Salvador Dalí
- See All Plaça de Gaudí
- See All For those stubborn Americans!
- See All Sagrat Cor
seamandrew's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 93 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Your travel plans for 2003"
- Commented on one of Kristina1701's Barcelona travel pages
- Wrote a Review Only suggestions about Cameras and Extra Film in Barcelona What to Pack
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (127)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Sagrada Familia- 455 Reviews, 992 Photos
- Parc Guell- 319 Reviews, 676 Photos
- Las Ramblas- 173 Reviews, 267 Photos
- Casa Milà - La Pedrera- 187 Reviews, 363 Photos
- Barcelona Cathedral - Catedral de la Santa Creu i Santa Eulàlia- 134 Reviews, 257 Photos
- Tibidabo- 57 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Montjuic- 73 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Casa Batlló- 137 Reviews, 282 Photos
- Plaça Reial- 53 Reviews, 89 Photos
- La Boqueria Market - Mercat de Sant Josep- 75 Reviews, 167 Photos
See All Barcelona Things to Do