" Seamandrew's Monistrol de Montserrat Page " Top 5 Page for this destination Monistrol de Montserrat by seamandrew
Monistrol de Montserrat Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 483 photos
Catalonia's most important religious retreat is Montserrat. Here athletes pledge barefoot pilgrimages if prayers are answered and vital competitions won. Groups of young people from Barcelona and all over Catalonia make overnight hikes at least once in their lives to watch the sunrise from the heights of Montserrat. "La Moreneta" (the black virgin), Catalonia's favorite saint, resides in the famous sanctuary of the Mare de Deu de Montserrat, next to the Benedictine monastery nestled among the towers and crags of the mountain.
Montserrat, whose name means serrated mountain, is 48 kilometers (roughly 30 miles) west of Barcelona, and can be reached easily and spectacularly by train and cable car.
Looming 1236 meters (4055 ft) over the valley floor, Montserrat, the highest point of the Catalan lowlands, stands central to the most populated part of Catalonia. The massive conglomerate stone monolith is ideally located to play an important role in the cultural and spiritual life of Catalonia.
Lastly, Montserrat's highest point, Sant Jeroni, can be reached by funicular (price included in combination ticket) from the Romanesque monastery of Santa Cecilia. From Sant Jeroni, almost all of Catalonia can be seen. You can see more about this monastery soon on my Monistrol de Montserrat page.
- Pros:Amazing views, deep history, a must see for religious folk.
- Cons:You need to devote a whole day to visit.
- In a nutshell:Attempting to build the monastary close to heaven, they built it in heaven itself!
The all boys choir of Montserrat belong to the oldest surviving music school left in Europe. There are 13th century... more travel advice
To get up to Sant Joan, you can take the Funicular de Sant Joan. Up here a number of paths take you about the highest... more travel advice
seamandrew's Related Pages
Monistrol de Montserrat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Catalan national spiritual center"
- " Seamandrew's Monistrol de Montserrat Page "
- "MONTSERRAT IN RAIN"
- "Home of the La Moreneta"
- "monistrol de montserrat"
- "Monserrat, a quick trip from Barcelona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Hotels in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Transportation in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Restaurants in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Shopping in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Warnings and Dangers in Monistrol de Montserrat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monistrol de Montserrat
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Monistrol de Montserrat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Your travel plans for 2003"
- Commented on one of Sininen's Monistrol de Montserrat travel pages
- updated a Monistrol de Montserrat Travel Page " Seamandrew's Monistrol de Montserrat Page "
- Wrote a Review Cor de l'Escolania in Monistrol de Montserrat Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cor de l'Escolania"
Photos in Monistrol de MontserratSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos