"Seamandrew's Hobart Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart by seamandrew

Hobart Travel Guide: 408 reviews and 865 photos

Hobart 2004

Arriving in Hobart was a bit exciting for us for a couple of reasons. First, here we were on the remote island of Tasmania. That in itself was rather exciting. However, Hobart was were I was going to brave driving on the 'British' side of the road for the first time. So that too was something to look forward to. We really didn't know what to expect of the city. In all honesty, from what we had read, it seemed a very small place with nothing too extravagant to do and we didn't have the highest expectations. We were pleasantly surprised.

Upon arriving in Hobart, which by the way is a breeze to get to from the airport, we were thrown back to a feeling of nostalgia. Here we felt like we were in a city that belonged much closer to the north pole than it did the south pole. The buildings and streets seemed so Scandinavian to us. Here was this little harbor town with small colorful buildings, with a temperate climate, and surrounded by a tall mountain (hill to some).

Our stay in Tasmania was brief, we were only spending a day exploring Hobart and a day in Freycinet National Park. We tried to see as much as possible in the little town of Hobart and this page is dedicated to all the things we did get to see. I'd love to go back someday when all the ships headed for the Antarctic are about. Tasmania is considered by many as the gateway to the Antarctic as it is a final stopping place before the trek down to the remote continent. Thankfully, Tasmania is in general a bit more temperate.

• Pros:Scandinavian feel, friendly people, harbor town feel, very 'green' city
  • Cons:Any further south and you're in Antarctica, hotel prices weren't cheap.
  • In a nutshell:Hobart is a lovely little town and a great choice for anyone looking to stay in Tasmania.
  • Last visit to Hobart: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2004

• triplehelix's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2008 at 12:23 PM

a good friend of mine lives down there and she's been asking me to come visit. looks like a lovely place!

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 7:03 AM

A part of Australia I'd love to see. Thanks for sharing your tips and pics. Three years to repair a bridge! Cheers...

• globerover's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 2:44 PM

a bit far away from me on the other side of the globe, but an interesting place, obviously ... and how brave of you to drive on the wrong side of the road :-)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 12:51 AM

Nice! Well tought out tips and information. Although an Aussie, I never knew Canadians were sent as convicts -fascinating. -leyle

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 5:39 PM

Drew, first off, I am so impressed with how much you have traveled at such a young age. These pages are just wonderful with engaging commentary and stunning photography. You are thorough, interesting, helpful, and positive.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 3:24 PM

Great pictures and writings, as your usual. Thanks for warning on travelling with fruits :-)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2005 at 7:47 AM

Drew, nice page on a lovely and not well-traveled place. Great photos and your descriptions were so excellent!

• dannebro's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2004 at 2:00 PM

very nice !

• shivan's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2004 at 12:00 AM

great pictures of the page. Nice infos, good work

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2004 at 4:20 PM

That intro photo really stands out and grabs you. Nice write-up too. I know they're paranoid all over Australia on what's brought in. It made me wish I had put mousetraps in my carry-on.

seamandrew

“The world is a book, those who do not travel read only a page.”

Badges & Stats in Hobart