"Seamandrew's Hobart Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart by seamandrew
Hobart Travel Guide: 425 reviews and 942 photos
Arriving in Hobart was a bit exciting for us for a couple of reasons. First, here we were on the remote island of Tasmania. That in itself was rather exciting. However, Hobart was were I was going to brave driving on the 'British' side of the road for the first time. So that too was something to look forward to. We really didn't know what to expect of the city. In all honesty, from what we had read, it seemed a very small place with nothing too extravagant to do and we didn't have the highest expectations. We were pleasantly surprised.
Upon arriving in Hobart, which by the way is a breeze to get to from the airport, we were thrown back to a feeling of nostalgia. Here we felt like we were in a city that belonged much closer to the north pole than it did the south pole. The buildings and streets seemed so Scandinavian to us. Here was this little harbor town with small colorful buildings, with a temperate climate, and surrounded by a tall mountain (hill to some).
Our stay in Tasmania was brief, we were only spending a day exploring Hobart and a day in Freycinet National Park. We tried to see as much as possible in the little town of Hobart and this page is dedicated to all the things we did get to see. I'd love to go back someday when all the ships headed for the Antarctic are about. Tasmania is considered by many as the gateway to the Antarctic as it is a final stopping place before the trek down to the remote continent. Thankfully, Tasmania is in general a bit more temperate.
- Pros:Scandinavian feel, friendly people, harbor town feel, very 'green' city
- Cons:Any further south and you're in Antarctica, hotel prices weren't cheap.
- In a nutshell:Hobart is a lovely little town and a great choice for anyone looking to stay in Tasmania.
While it takes a good 3-4 hours to get there from Hobart, the destination is well worth the journey. Freycinet National... more travel advice
There are a number of beaches north of Hobart that seem a bit out of place. For an island, considered to be in a... more travel advice
seamandrew's Related Pages
Hobart Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Hobart Page"
- "IMPREXXION: TASMANIA-HOBART"
- "Hobart - The Capital City of Tasmania"
- "Hobart - relax, you're there"
- "Snow on Christmas Day?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hobart
- Hotels in Hobart
- Transportation in Hobart
- Nightlife in Hobart
- Restaurants in Hobart
- Shopping in Hobart
- Warnings and Dangers in Hobart
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hobart
- 26 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Hobart?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hobart
Photos in HobartSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 78 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos