"Vancouver and its many delights" Vancouver by mbsimjam
Vancouver Travel Guide: 4,002 reviews and 8,456 photos
Vancouver is about as Southwest as you can get in Canada. It is on the west coast less than 100 KM from the border to the US.
It is a very compact city, with about 7 "sattelite" cities interconnected to it.
The main tourist area will consist of Vancouver, West Vancouver, and North Vancouver, as these are the most easily accessible areas with attractions such as the mountains, beaches, and metro city life.
The very situation that Vancouver finds itself, nestled between the mountains and the ocean, lends itself to a playground of endless possibilities!
The city is a great jumping point to outdoor activities such as sailing, windsurfing, fishing, swimming, beach sports, skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, camping, biking, and many other things.
It is one of the only places in the world where you can go skiing in the morning and then join your friends on the beach in the afternoon!
Vancouver was settled by the English about 150years ago and named after Captain George Vancouver of the British Army. Because of this, you will find a lot of British colonial architecture around the city.
More recently, within the last 40 years, there has been a steady influx of Asian populations into Vancouver, with the largest push happening about 15 years ago from Hong Kong.
This has given Vancouver an "air" of the East, which is particularly evident in Richmond (sattelite to the South), whose population is about 60% asian.
It has also brought some of the best asian food found outside of Asia to Vancouver, which can only benefit its residents...and its visitors!
- Pros:Gorgeous year round, easy compact centre, cheap food
- Cons:Hard to get around if not in centre. (ie to North Van/West Van)
- In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful cities in the world!
The Cactus Club Cafe is a nice little chain restaurant (they have locations in several places in Western Canada) that... more travel advice
I was a frequent flyer at the Blarney Stone (I guess if you call 5 times in a year frequent...so not so frequent). It... more travel advice
mbsimjam's Related Pages
Vancouver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Local's Perspective"
- "Vancouver, BC - Canada's Pacific Gem!"
- "Vancouver, BC, Canada!"
- "Vancouver, my current home"
- "Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!"
- "Summer in Vancouver"
- "The big city on the West Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vancouver
- Hotels in Vancouver
- Transportation in Vancouver
- Nightlife in Vancouver
- Restaurants in Vancouver
- Shopping in Vancouver
- Warnings and Dangers in Vancouver
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vancouver
- 14 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Vancouver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vancouver
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 75 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 14 reviews
- Czech Republic Intro, 12 reviews
- New York City Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Croatia Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Edinburgh 4 reviews
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Nelson 2 reviews
- Podgora Intro, 2 reviews
- Ireland 1 review
No friends yet.