"Rauma - a medieval town" Top 5 Page for this destination Rauma by Janni67
Rauma Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 222 photos
Rauma was founded in 1442 so it's the third oldest town in Finland. Today it has 38 000 inhabitants.
Rauma is known for three special features.
1) the picturesque Old Rauma with wooden houses
2) lace-making and
3) a funny dialect which is almost impossible to understand even to other Finns ;)
Old Rauma is one of four UNESCO world heritage sites in Finland. The old wooden houses are a tourist attraction and lace-making (originally brought by seamen) is still flourishing.
Old Rauma is the largest unified historical wooden town in the Nordic countries. Even today it is the heart of the town, where living, social life and business go hand in hand all year round. Old Rauma area covers an area of 28 hectares and there are 600 buildings, most of which are privately owned, several of them have some small business in them, like an old books' store, barber's etc. The population of Old Rauma is 800.
- Pros:Beautiful old wooden houses
Old Rauma is the widest wooden town in the Nordic countries. It's about 28 hectares in total and full of narrow streets.... more travel advice
By the Market Place you can see one of the most beautiful buildings in Old Rauma: the Town Hall which was built in 1776.... more travel advice
Janni67's Related Pages
Rauma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rauma – a city of lace"
- "Rauma - a medieval town"
- "Rauma - The Old World Heritage Town"
- "RAUMA - OL NIIGON GOTONAS!"
- "Rauma - Old Rauma (Unesco World Heritage)"
- "Rauma - West coast of Finland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rauma
- Hotels in Rauma
- Transportation in Rauma
- Nightlife in Rauma
- Restaurants in Rauma
- Shopping in Rauma
- Warnings and Dangers in Rauma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rauma
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Rauma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rauma
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampere Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Itä-Suomi Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Finland Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pori Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Ireland Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Austria Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues