"Place of the turtles" Top 5 Page for this destination Akumal by kyoub
Akumal Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 169 photos
The barrier reef that runs parallel to the Quintana Roo coast protects Akumal Beach from the open sea and makes it a great place to swim or snorkel.
The easy access to the reef makes it a great place for divers from all over the world, in search of unspoiled treasures.
Akumal is 22 miles south of Playa.
The name Akumal means place of the turtles in Maya.
It is one of the places where two of the endangered species of sea turtles who live in the Caribbean comes ashore to lay their eggs.
The bay, at one time was the place where thousands of turtles came ashore but now they have moved to a quieter spot.
- Pros:Great place for water sports
- Cons:Most of the sights are below the water
- In a nutshell:Tranquil Place
Xel-Ha is Mexico's largest natural aquarium. This large national park is full of fresh water lagoons, rivers,... more travel advice
This restaurant was right across from our cabana. It is a large, open air, thatched roofed dining room that sits up on... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Akumal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Anti Playa Del Carmen!"
- "Akumal Bay - Laid back Mexico"
- "Place of the turtles"
- "It's all about the R&R"
- "Cancun minus the Crazy....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akumal
- Hotels in Akumal
- Transportation in Akumal
- Restaurants in Akumal
- Warnings and Dangers in Akumal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akumal
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Akumal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akumal
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues