"Bacalar, Mexico" Bacalar by kyoub
Bacalar Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 40 photos
Bacalar is located at the southern end of the Quintana Roo Coast., 200 miles south of Cancun.
The second largest lake in Mexico is located here. The Laguna Bacalar is also called the "Lake of Seven Colors".
Fresh and salt waters mix, creating varying shades of turquoise and blue which contrast with the deep green jungle along the shore.
Lush tropical gardens and lawns border the shores of Laguna Bacalar at the retreat where we stayed.
It sits among tropical shrubs, coco palms, and fruit trees. Orchids are hanging from the trees in baskets.
We also saw many birds here.
After miles and miles of two lane highway, we finally see a sign that says Hotel...Rancho Encantado.
This is the place that we are looking for.
We park the car in the parking lot and walk several yards, past tropical foliage, coco trees, and several birds.
This must be slow season because we were the only ones around.
- Pros:Away from the crowds
- Cons:Spanish is spoken here
- In a nutshell:A beautiful part of Mexico
There are three very nice ruins that you can see in a day trip from the hotel. They have a van with driver and guide... more travel advice
We rented a car at the airport and drove ourselves. A guide did go along with us to the ruins because they are not well... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Bacalar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bacalar, Mexico"
- "Town of Bacalar near Chetumal"
- "Bacalar - Just a quick trip thru"
- "It seems Caribean sea water but it is a lagoon¡"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bacalar
- Hotels in Bacalar
- Transportation in Bacalar
- Restaurants in Bacalar
- Warnings and Dangers in Bacalar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bacalar
- 14 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Bacalar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bacalar
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues