"Playa" Playa del Carmen by kyoub

Playa del Carmen Travel Guide: 821 reviews and 1,918 photos

Beauty

For many years there was but one reason to go to the then small village of Playa del Carmen and that was to catch the ferry to Cozumel Island.

Over the last few years, things have changed and Playa is now one of the fastest growing areas on the Quintana Roo coast

Playa is a place of beauty. The cool early hours are great for walking on the beach. Warm afternoons are perfect for swimming, snorkling, or snoozing. Evening are for eating and people watching on the plaza.

Get to know Playa well because once you have been here, you will always come back again.

Entertainers

There is a wide range of entertainers on the beach, the plaza,
and in the restaurants.
You will hear many duos and trios
playing their Mexican traditional songs.
Keep some $ handy just in case you happen across them.

Surprises

Playa is full of surprises. Around every corner you will see something different.
Something that you must have, in a shop window, someone handing out coupons for a free drink at dinner, some ladies selling fresh fruit on the plaza.
A walk on the beach never fails to bring surprises. Like this one day that we saw a sailfish.

• Pros:The sand never gets hot enough to burn your feet
  • Cons:Very touristy
  • In a nutshell:Playa finds a place in your heart
  • Last visit to Playa del Carmen: Jul 1996
  • Intro Updated Jul 30, 2004

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM

We recently passed through Playa del Carmen on our way to Cozumel. I would have enjoyed walking around its pretty streets and doing a little shopping, but we didn't have time to linger there for long...thanks, Kay!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Great page Kay. It certainly looks so fun and relaxing! Wow fresh fruit is always a plus! So are speedo's......did i just say that?!...lol!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 8:45 AM

So tempting to just want to hop on a plane to see this place, as I watch snow falling here. Looks like you had a great condo, nearby restaurants, and a fabulous beach!!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Lobely page on very interesting destination, different than those secluded ones though. If I need more company, shopping, beach + jungle I'd go there.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 4:38 AM

Thanks for visiting my Ronda page Kay. Enjoyed this Playa del Carmen page. Hans and I stopped here on our way to the ruins in Tulum. It is a beautiful. less touristy spot.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 9:51 AM

Nice page Kay I love wandering back streets too. The hotel tip looks so inviting

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2005 at 11:04 AM

Lovely page ! I enjoyed my stay at Playa del Carmen after my VW beetle trip crossing Yucatan.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 2:37 PM

Playa del Carmen is a wonderful place! Great page.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 9:23 AM

I liked Playa del Carmen very much. Was this lovely accommodation really under US20,-?

• grets's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2004 at 2:31 PM

Great page Kay - we too liked it here. We didn't see the flaming coffee show though!

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Playa del Carmen

Have you been to Playa del Carmen?

Latest Activity in Playa del Carmen