"The flying Voladores" Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas de Tulum by kyoub

Ruinas de Tulum Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 112 photos

The Dance of those who fly

Without a doubt the most dramatic and most bizarre of Mexican folk traditions is the Dance of those who fly. It was originated by the Totanac Indians of Veracruz, and it has achieved international fame due to daily preformances at some of the resorts and ruins.
This strange phenenomenon is not a circus act at all but a soemn religious rite dating back over a millennium.
In white blouses and scarlet pantaloons, with flimsy tasselled helmets on their heads, five men climg up a 66ft high ploe. Reaching the small platform on top, four of them attach a rope to their waist and sit to face the fifth who dances, beats a drum, and plays a wooden flute upon the pole top a little higher.

Flying

Suddenly, at his signal, the four roped men launch themselves backwards, fling out their arms, and start to look like they are flying

Merry-go-round

Like figures in an aerial merry-go-round, they make 13 hair-raising revolutions as their ropes unwind from the pole-top,until they near the ground. At that time they jerk themselves upright and land on their feet.
A collection is taken from the crowd afterwards.
i had never seen or read about this kind of preformance before I saw it done when we were at Tulum. I was in shock, thinking they were going to kill themselves.

• Pros:Very interesting
  • Cons:Tourists
  • In a nutshell:Glad I got to see it
  • Last visit to Ruinas de Tulum: Aug 1997
  • Intro Written Jul 28, 2004

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Kay, interesting information on the 'twirling men' performance! Sue and I also loved Tulum but we had not heard about that display of skill! By the way, those are cute cats on your Home page!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Would love to have made it to Tulum - the setting is stunning. Saw the Dancers who Fly in DF - amazing - and terrifying!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2009 at 9:53 AM

looks like a bit of a stunning place to visit - and not a bird in sight!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2007 at 11:05 AM

We'll most likely be seeing these ruins on our vacation in July--I wonder if the Flying Voladores will be there--amazing!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2007 at 3:20 PM

This most dramatic and most bizarre of Mexican folk traditions is a must see for me now!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 10:36 AM

Didn't know about the Flying Voladores. Hope we see then when we go to Tulum.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 2:53 AM

Holy Mackeral.....You've got the ruins and the flying family.....wow! Seems like a cool place to visit!

• grets's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2004 at 2:34 PM

We never got to Tulum on our trip to Mexico - it looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing your photos and tips.

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Ruinas de Tulum

Have you been to Ruinas de Tulum?

Latest Activity in Ruinas de Tulum