"The flying Voladores" Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas de Tulum by kyoub
Ruinas de Tulum Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 95 photos
Without a doubt the most dramatic and most bizarre of Mexican folk traditions is the Dance of those who fly. It was originated by the Totanac Indians of Veracruz, and it has achieved international fame due to daily preformances at some of the resorts and ruins.
This strange phenenomenon is not a circus act at all but a soemn religious rite dating back over a millennium.
In white blouses and scarlet pantaloons, with flimsy tasselled helmets on their heads, five men climg up a 66ft high ploe. Reaching the small platform on top, four of them attach a rope to their waist and sit to face the fifth who dances, beats a drum, and plays a wooden flute upon the pole top a little higher.
Suddenly, at his signal, the four roped men launch themselves backwards, fling out their arms, and start to look like they are flying
Like figures in an aerial merry-go-round, they make 13 hair-raising revolutions as their ropes unwind from the pole-top,until they near the ground. At that time they jerk themselves upright and land on their feet.
A collection is taken from the crowd afterwards.
i had never seen or read about this kind of preformance before I saw it done when we were at Tulum. I was in shock, thinking they were going to kill themselves.
- Pros:Very interesting
- In a nutshell:Glad I got to see it
There is very little silence or solitude to be had in Tulum these day when the tour busesarrive, but the setting is... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Ruinas de Tulum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The flying Voladores"
- "Place of the Dawning Sun"
- "Tulum, Tulum"
- "The low-key tourism of Tulum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ruinas de Tulum
- Hotels in Ruinas de Tulum
- Transportation in Ruinas de Tulum
- Warnings and Dangers in Ruinas de Tulum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ruinas de Tulum
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Ruinas de Tulum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas de Tulum
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues