"One of my favorite places" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Aransas by kyoub

Port Aransas Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 55 photos

Port A

We have traveled far and wide but still one of my favorite places in this big world is Port Aransas, Texas. Or as the locals call it for short Port A.
After you leave the mainland at Aransas Pass you go over a 6-mile causeway. You will see shrimpers and other boats coming and going but you will stop short of getting to Port A.
You must stop and drive on the 20-car ferry to get there. It is a free ferry and it is only a 5 minute ride.
This is one of the things that makes Port A special to me.
As soon as we get on the ferry, we get out of our car, smell the salt air, listen to the seagulls squacking at the pier, and if we are lucky we see dolphins swimming in the ship channel as we cross.

The beach

Another thing that makes Port A special to me is the beachs.
The Gulf side is one long beach,
The width varies but it is usually wide enough, at low tide, to lay out a football field between the waters edge and the sand dunes.
I can walk for miles on this beach, looking for shells, washed up treasures, or people watching.
We always pay our $$ to get a permit and then we can drive the car on the beach.

Birds

Another very special thing about Port A is the birds. They love it here on the coast as much as I do.
Laughing gulls, cormorants, terns, pelicans, and herons are among the many full-time residents.
Migrating birds, including ducks, add to the bird population, especially in the spring.

• Pros:Among the best beaches and birding anywhere
  • Cons:Oil on the sand
  • In a nutshell:Beach lovers haven
  • Last visit to Port Aransas: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 20, 2004

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2011 at 7:21 AM

The beach looks wonderful there Kay. Nothing more entertaining for kids is the beach. Love seeing all the wonderful birds! Nice page!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 4:04 AM

What a great idea to rent a Condo on the Beach. Port Aransas looks like a lovely spot to stay and play.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2009 at 3:23 AM

I had to look at the map to see where this is. The closest I have ever been is San Antonio.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM

This seems to be just our sort of place! But like you we would want to avoid the Spring Break crowds

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2008 at 12:53 PM

i;m surprised you feed seagulls - i thought they were basically rats with wings.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I certainly do love this part of Texas. Thanks for sharing.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 9:23 AM

I love to walk for miles on uncrowded beaches so the private Island would suit me well!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2007 at 8:27 AM

I had not heard about Port Aransas; however, it must be well known for all those students to arrive during Spring Break. Like the idea of renting a condo. What a beautiful area Port Aransas seems. Enjoyed the sea gulls & the sand sculpture.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Great stuff! I like the picture titled "likeness" :-) I can't imagine so many students (150,000?) coming there in spring break.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2006 at 5:51 PM

Kay, I have to agree with you that it is hard to go wrong with beaches, birds and ferries! Port A looks like a great getaway if you time it right and get one of your condos! I'm a Maritimer myself, so always enjoy a whiff of salt air.

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Port Aransas

Have you been to Port Aransas?

Latest Activity in Port Aransas