"One of my favorite places" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Aransas by kyoub
Port Aransas Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 55 photos
We have traveled far and wide but still one of my favorite places in this big world is Port Aransas, Texas. Or as the locals call it for short Port A.
After you leave the mainland at Aransas Pass you go over a 6-mile causeway. You will see shrimpers and other boats coming and going but you will stop short of getting to Port A.
You must stop and drive on the 20-car ferry to get there. It is a free ferry and it is only a 5 minute ride.
This is one of the things that makes Port A special to me.
As soon as we get on the ferry, we get out of our car, smell the salt air, listen to the seagulls squacking at the pier, and if we are lucky we see dolphins swimming in the ship channel as we cross.
Another thing that makes Port A special to me is the beachs.
The Gulf side is one long beach,
The width varies but it is usually wide enough, at low tide, to lay out a football field between the waters edge and the sand dunes.
I can walk for miles on this beach, looking for shells, washed up treasures, or people watching.
We always pay our $$ to get a permit and then we can drive the car on the beach.
Another very special thing about Port A is the birds. They love it here on the coast as much as I do.
Laughing gulls, cormorants, terns, pelicans, and herons are among the many full-time residents.
Migrating birds, including ducks, add to the bird population, especially in the spring.
- Pros:Among the best beaches and birding anywhere
- Cons:Oil on the sand
- In a nutshell:Beach lovers haven
Go for a walk and get your feet wet, or a swim. You can walk for miles on this beach. more travel advice
It is so much fun to feed the seagulls. They seem to know when someone has food and fly in from miles away. more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Port Aransas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of my favorite places"
- "Port A ...Nice eh!"
- "Unexpected Weekend"
- "Mustang Island Beach Club (MIBC)"
- "Camping on the Beach!"
- "Come sail away with me"
- "Port A - Your Escape from Worry"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Aransas
- Hotels in Port Aransas
- Transportation in Port Aransas
- Nightlife in Port Aransas
- Restaurants in Port Aransas
- Shopping in Port Aransas
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Aransas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Aransas
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Port Aransas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Aransas
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (51)
Latest Port Aransas hotel reviews
- Mariner Inn & Suites, LLC
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Harbor Inn
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Port Royal Ocean Resort Condos
- 280 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Beach Lodge
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- The Dunes Condominiums
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Port Aransas Inn
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Seaside Motel and condominiums
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Mustang Island Beach Club
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Double Barr Cottages
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Best Western Ocean Villa
- 253 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Executive Keys
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Sea Shell Village Resort
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Captain's Quarters Inn
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Mayan Princess
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013