"Cajun Country" Avery Island by kyoub

Avery Island Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 55 photos

Avery Island

Avery Island is not an island at all but the largest of Louisiana's five major salt domes.
The island is bordered on three sides by marsh, and on the forth by cypress swamps thick with wildlife.
Here you will find the Tobasco factory, Jungle Gardens, and Bird City egret roockery.

• Pros:The wildlife
  • Cons:Can get crowded at times
  • In a nutshell:Great for a daytrip
  • Last visit to Avery Island: Dec 1996
  • Intro Written Jan 20, 2005

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Avery Island looks wonderful. To see all the lovely birds is wonderful, but that Aligator is scarey, but respectful. Excellent page!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2009 at 4:38 AM

intetesting little corner of your site that i've not found before

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM

The tobasco made on Avery Island sounds like powerful stuff! Touring Jungle Gardens would be a great family activity...glad you stayed clear of the gator!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I do love that peppery goodness! Thanks for the info on the Island.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Little did I know that I was stumbling onto two of my favourites on a single page - Tabasco sauce and birdwatching! Thanks for the info behind that infamous hot sauce. Great bird tips too, I see the odd Pileated Woodpecker even way up here!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Good page and I enjoyed my visit to Avery Island in November 2004 a lot. I didn't see any gators there but quite many warning signs :-). I've heard that the area was severely affected by hurricane Katrina :-(

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 5:55 PM

that looks like a very nice and off the beaten track place. just what i like. i really hope to visit the deep south one day.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 11:49 AM

Kay, you are a wealth of information! I love red hots and dentine gum, and now I find they use "pepper mash" as an ingredient!! Another unique spot that you've introduced me to; thanks.

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 2:37 PM

I really enjoyed my visit too, great tips.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 10:03 AM

Good page - very informative tips Enjoyed my visit

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Avery Island

Have you been to Avery Island?

Latest Activity in Avery Island