"Where the highways cross" Marshall by kyoub

Marshall Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 11 photos

Historic Marshall

The completion of the National Road through Clark County in 1834 drew many settlers to this area. The road was paved with brick in the 1920's and later became Route 40 which stretched from coast to coast.
I went to High School in this town but as a teenager I gave very little thought to its history.
I was much more interested in traveling, even at that age.

• Pros:Friendly people
  • Cons:Not much to do
  • In a nutshell:A nice small town
  • Last visit to Marshall: May 2005
  • Intro Written May 11, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 6:56 AM

I never knew about the Handy Writer's colony, where James Jones lived in the 1950's. I believe he later moved to Paris and lived on the Ile Saint-Louis -- quite a contrast!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM

I enjoy the little pages too Kay, that 1840's Log cabin is so very charming as well as the square. Great page!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 3:24 AM

Backwoods or backwards, or both ?

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 6:03 AM

OK, it was my second guess... might be one of the few here who knows Marshall. Nice job writing up the old stomping grounds

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Another interesting page on small-town America! These places often have an interesting tale to tell if a person looks beneath the surface!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 7:45 AM

Very nice little town. Haha, it's great to see when you grew up... any picture of your High School?

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2005 at 5:58 PM

Kay, I grew up in Robinson, Illinois, where James Jones went to high school; the people in his novels were from Robinson. I've been in Marshall many times!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2005 at 3:31 AM

Looks a lovely place kay, I see the picture on my postcard here to! (~_~)

• grets's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2005 at 10:49 PM

Nice little small town. I like the story about the tree planted by a teacher and later carved :-)

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Marshall

Have you been to Marshall?

Latest Activity in Marshall