"The Big Island's best kept secret" Pahoa by kyoub
Pahoa Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 26 photos
As you head south from Hilo, you could just stay on Route 130 until you get to the coast. That way you would miss Pahoa all together. That would be a big mistake because it is one of the Big Islands best kept secrets. I hesitate to mention it here on VT for fear everyone will decend on the town and it will change it for ever. However it really doesn't seem to have changed much in the last 50 yrs so it probably won't now either. When you see the Pahoa marker on the highway, turn right and take a drive through the past.
If you can find a place to park your car, get out and take a walk on Pahoa'
wooden sidewalks. Have a look around in the quaint little gift shops. There are several ethnic restaurants on the main street and I haven't found a bad on yet. If you are in need of groceries be sure to stop by the Natural grocery store for a good selection of organic food. It is also the gathering place for alternative - lifestyle people. One warning....Don't hang around Pahoa for long though or you may never want to leave.
- Pros:Small town atmosphere
- Cons:Habit forming
- In a nutshell:Alternative lifestyles and good food
Take an extra bag so you will have some place to pack all those souvenirs that you buy. Be sure to take a rain jacket... more travel advice
Pahoa is said to be the anthurium capital of the world. There are many nurseries in the area so watch for the signs. You... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Pahoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Big Island's best kept secret"
- "PAHOA IS HIP . . . YEAH . . . YEAH !"
- "Pahoa Pictures"
- "Puna District"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pahoa
- Hotels in Pahoa
- Transportation in Pahoa
- Restaurants in Pahoa
- Shopping in Pahoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pahoa
- 9 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Pahoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pahoa
- updated a Pahoa Travel Page "The Big Island's best kept secret"
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Costa Rica or Ecuador"
- Wrote a Review Check the weather forecast before you pack in Pahoa What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Check the weather forecast before you pack"
- Commented on one of Kaimu's Pahoa travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues