"Remote and Beautiful Places" Top 5 Page for this destination Panama by kyoub

Panama Travel Guide: 1,701 reviews and 4,258 photos

Panama

If the call of the wild rings in your ears there is no betterr place to visit than Panama with its vast areas of unexplored forest, its islands, spectacular mountains, and abundance of birds.

Avian species

Best known for its canal, Panama has an overwhelming number and variety of birds. A list of Panama birds would show there are almost 1,000 species.
That is the reason that we decided to take a trip to Panama.

When we were researching the country there were no travel guides or birds of Panama book. I found very little on the internet that was of any help.

Bountiful Birding

One day while surfing the net, I happened across the website of Raul Arias de Para, a Panamanian busnessman and birder. Raul haad purchased a rusting, former radar station and he was in the process of making it into a lodge for birding.

After corresponding with him for several weeks, we made arrangements to meet him and have a look around Semaphore Hill.

The birds were quite active when we arrived at sunrise. We saw Green shiny Homeycreepers, Blue Dacnis, Masked Tityra, many tanagers, flycatchers, and a Keel-billed Toucan.

We make ourselves a promise to return when the lodge is finished.

• Pros:Great birding and friendly people
  • Cons:My spanish isn't the best
  • In a nutshell:A birding delight
  • Last visit to Panama: Apr 1998
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2014 at 3:46 AM

I have read the Quetzal is hard to find and see, so you were very lucky! It sounds like you had a wonderful time in what must be a bird - watchers paradise. I enjoyed reading about all you saw and did!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
      Jan 14, 2014 at 5:15 AM

Thanks, Dee, glad you enjoyed reading about our adventure. Panama is indeed a bird watchers paradise. To see the Quetzal it takes luck and knowing where to look for it.A beauty for sure.

• grets's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I have added a few of your tips to my trip planner, awesome photos Kay. Haven't looked at VT for ages - I miss looking at your pages. xx Thanks

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Thanks for some useful tips and the good photos. We can't spend much time in Panama, but will make the best of what we have by tips such as yours. love the birdds and flowers

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Panama has such lush landscape! Our daughter in law wants to visit sometime soon--now I know why...it's so pretty!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2007 at 3:46 PM

an interesting page bringing back great memories ! Lovely exotic birds, I totally missed them !

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Very good accommodation tips. I'd love to stay in deluxe cabin there :-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2006 at 7:51 AM

Sounds like you had a very nice stay in Panama. The beach and waves looks great!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 9:32 AM

Panama looks very intriguing. Hopefully, next time you'll catch a glimpse of the quetzal.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 12:32 AM

Mi Jardin Su Jardin looks lovely, wonderful views from your cabin too. Nice tips Kay (~_~)

• Nov 15, 2004 at 7:57 AM

Great info and pictures, :)

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Panama