"Nature travelers" Provincia de Cartago by kyoub

Provincia de Cartago Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 216 photos

We had decided we wanted to go to Costa Rica but didn’t know where to go.
A friend in our local Audubon Society suggested going to Rancho Naturalista.
He had been there and had only nice things to say about his stay.
The rest is history like they say.

The ranch owners are originally from the US so English is spoken as well as Spanish. That was a big plus for us.

The lodge sits on a hill with 125 acres surrounding it. There are well maintained trails, water falls, and tropical forest all just steps away from your room.

One afternoon we were sitting on a bench taking a short rest. My partner of several years looked over at me and said, "I think we should get married."
A few months later we did.

New experience

You will have many opportunities to see something for the very first time.
Perhaps you have never seen a hummingbird bathing. You can see that here.
Every evening we gathered along the banks of the hummingbird pools and waited. They came in one by one and splashed around in the shallow water.

• Pros:Tranquility
  • In a nutshell:Great birding
  • Last visit to Provincia de Cartago: May 1995
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2009

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM

What a beautiful place! Love the horses of course:)) The birds are so wonderful here as usual! We have lots of beautiful species here. I guess I should learn their names:)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 1:53 PM

never expected a bunch of kyoub tips to feature our feathered friends !

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Thanks Kay for the virtual tour with good tips and nice pictures! Seems like a good place for bird watching!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Great recollections and photos of your Costa Rica experience! My wife and I headed the other way from San Jose (to the Pacific) when we landed! I love the sounds of your accoms and also your birding and nature experiences!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Rancho Naturalista sounds like an absolutely perfect setting for a trek into nature---I imagine the birdsong was amazing!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2009 at 4:52 AM

So wonderful to read about your first trip to Costa Rica. Racho Naturalista sounds devine, and what a grand spot for your beloved bird watching. I would love to have seen those hummingbirds! Lovely photographs, Kay.

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Provincia de Cartago

Have you been to Provincia de Cartago?

Latest Activity in Provincia de Cartago