"From a birders point of view" Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica by kyoub

Costa Rica Travel Guide: 5,611 reviews and 12,090 photos

Nature

Costa Rica is not an island in the Caribbean, it is in the center of Central America. It would take months to really explore it, yet with less than 20,000 square miles, it is one of the smallest countries in Latin America.
We walked among the rain forest giants, seen the green turtles nesting, got a ringside view of two of the more active volcanoes, ogled at the birds,and heard the howler monkey.

Fauna

Costa Rica is a treasure house of flora and fauna unequaled in so small an area. There are 850 species of birds here.
Costa Rica is known around the world for its national park system, now protecting over 12 percent of the land.
We came as a couple that wanted to see some birds. We left as birders. We had caught the fever.

Adventure

Costa Rica is a place to try things that you have never done before: go whitewater rafting,tramp along trails in a tropical forest, ford rivers with water to the hood of your car, take off on horseback to explore the countrside.
Expect the unexpected.

• Pros:Incredible natural beauty
  • Cons:Diesel fumes
  • In a nutshell:There is something different about Costa Rica
  • Last visit to Costa Rica: Sep 1997
  • Intro Updated Nov 2, 2005

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Good page. Trying to put together for 2014, but not easy. Too many places to go and with limited time and a set budget, I have to cut locales down to 2 with 3 the absolute maximum.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
      Mar 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

You can't see it all on one trip. You will have to pan a return later.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
      Mar 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I have to include Carara Natl Park somehow. Its the top place to see Scarlet Macaw and also Fiery Billed Aracari, the more flamboyant cousin of the Collared Aracari.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Just booked a trip to Costa Rica so thought I'd have another look at this nice page! If I see only half of what you saw on your trip, I'd still be happy!!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Great page! You would guess why this country has been on my wish list for a long time!
    The beetle is a Rhinoceros beetle, I have them in the garden at certain times of the year. They like one of my tropical Tree's.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Amazing that there are so many different kinds of birds in such a small country -- 850 species! I hope you didn't get too close to that active volcano.

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Hi Kay! Costa Rica has always been on my wish list because of the waterfalls! I enjoyed my virtual tour around your pages. Great information and gorgeous pictures! :-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 4:33 AM

some excellent tiny animal tips here - always a winner for me !

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Thank you for sharing your experiences in this fasinating country, its still high up there on my to go list

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 7:22 AM

An excellent overview of one of the countries high on my wish list - and now even higher, thanks especially to your descriptions of birds and the turtles nesting

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Excellent Costa Rica page. I didn't know it was so beautiful there and such a nature lover's paradise. Great accommodation tips. Well done.

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2006 at 2:43 AM

The picture of the vulture is amazing, thanks for sharing Kay:) Greets from another birder.

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Costa Rica

Have you been to Costa Rica?

Latest Activity in Costa Rica