"Gold Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay by kyoub
Uruguay Travel Guide: 1,463 reviews and 3,494 photos
The pint size country of Uruguay has long been one of South Americas best kept secrets.
I have to admit I knew little about it before seeing it on the Travel Channel.
On that show, Samantha Brown was sitting at the hotel/museum of artist Carlos Paez Vilaro, located on a peninsula called Punta Ballena (Whale Point). I knew then that I just had to visit there someday.
Many South Americans flock to the coast of Uruguay during their summer vacation.
It is not uncommon for the small beach towns of 5,000 inhabitants to swell to 30,000,
from December to March. Crowds and prices drop dramatically during the low season, so we waited until then to go visit.
Many have now heard of Punta del Este and its neighboring town of La Barra.
Few travelers step off the beaten path to check out the 112 miles of gorgeous white sand beaches a few miles east of Punta. The small balnearios ( coastal towns) are rich in history, nature, and beauty.
The first tourist resort in Uruguay was Piriapolis. It was named in honor of the founder, Francisco Piria. Piriapolis is a small beach town between Montevideo and Punta del Este. It has a more laid back atmosphere than Punta with fewer fancy restaurants and clubs.
Piriapolis does have 25 km of coastline around it and a wide range of beaches. San Antonio Hill, is the highest hill surrounding Piriapolis, it offers a panoramic view of the coast from the summit.
- Pros:Friendly people and beautiful beaches
- In a nutshell:I hope to return someday
I am listing the Salto de Penitente in off the beaten path because of the road that you must travel to get there. A few... more travel advice
Much to our surprise we found Uruguay wine very good. We knew about wine from Chile and Argentina but not Uruguay.... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Uruguay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "unknown URUGUAY"
- "Río de los pájaros Pintados (Painted Birds' River)"
- "URUGUAY .... HERE WE COME...."
- "Gold Coast"
- "Don't skip over it!"
- "One large city and then wide open spaces"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uruguay
- Hotels in Uruguay
- Transportation in Uruguay
- Nightlife in Uruguay
- Restaurants in Uruguay
- Shopping in Uruguay
- Warnings and Dangers in Uruguay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uruguay
- 85 Reviews
- 228 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Uruguay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uruguay
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues