"Gold Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay by kyoub

Uruguay Travel Guide: 1,418 reviews and 3,382 photos

Whale Point

The pint size country of Uruguay has long been one of South Americas best kept secrets.
I have to admit I knew little about it before seeing it on the Travel Channel.
On that show, Samantha Brown was sitting at the hotel/museum of artist Carlos Paez Vilaro, located on a peninsula called Punta Ballena (Whale Point). I knew then that I just had to visit there someday.

Many South Americans flock to the coast of Uruguay during their summer vacation.
It is not uncommon for the small beach towns of 5,000 inhabitants to swell to 30,000,
from December to March. Crowds and prices drop dramatically during the low season, so we waited until then to go visit.

Beaches of Rocha

Many have now heard of Punta del Este and its neighboring town of La Barra.
Few travelers step off the beaten path to check out the 112 miles of gorgeous white sand beaches a few miles east of Punta. The small balnearios ( coastal towns) are rich in history, nature, and beauty.

Piriapolis

The first tourist resort in Uruguay was Piriapolis. It was named in honor of the founder, Francisco Piria. Piriapolis is a small beach town between Montevideo and Punta del Este. It has a more laid back atmosphere than Punta with fewer fancy restaurants and clubs.
Piriapolis does have 25 km of coastline around it and a wide range of beaches. San Antonio Hill, is the highest hill surrounding Piriapolis, it offers a panoramic view of the coast from the summit.

• Pros:Friendly people and beautiful beaches
  • In a nutshell:I hope to return someday
  • Last visit to Uruguay: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2008

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Nice, Lucy's sounds like a place where I'd like to stop.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I have looked into a possible trip to here for 8-10 years-but not yet. YOu did a wonderful job of describing the sites and the pictures enhance the beauty very well.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2010 at 4:51 AM

What an excellent, interesting lot of tips. This place is full of interesting architecture, I wonder why they built the 'wavy' bridge, definately different! Like the Birds too, hadn't seen the Antshrike or Crested Caracara before.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 6:19 AM

Great tips on Uruguay!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 4:42 AM

Lovely Uruguay page! Uruguay seems to be an interesting tourist destination. The Roller Coaster Bridge looks amazing! ~ho & pang

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Kay, just today I red about Uruguay in a travelbook '25 itineraries in the world you have to do'. It looks like a interesting destination.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Hi Kay! Uruguay is deifinitely an underrated destination -- it looks great. The only part I saw was Col de sacramento near Argentina...Norman :)

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Wonderful peaceful place ! Thanks for taking me there :-))

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2008 at 7:42 AM

A good place to visit for ocean sports and wonderful beaches. Most, I know have never been here. Great tips for those thinking of visiting.

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Kay, I enjoyed reading your pages. I honestly don't know much about Uruguay, so your pages helped me learn about this beautiful place. Of course I love the waterfall picture. :-)

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Uruguay

Have you been to Uruguay?

Latest Activity in Uruguay