"Land of the Guanaco" Top 5 Page for this destination Chile by kyoub
Chile Travel Guide: 4,856 reviews and 13,475 photos
Chile is a fascinating country, with a more diverse landscape than anywhere else in South America. There is something for everyone. We only had two weeks and we wanted to visit Tierra del Fuego. It is divided almost equally between Chile and Argentina.
First of all we had to get to Punta Arenas on the southern tip of Chile. It faces Tierra del Fuego on the Magellan Strait. We took a ferry from there to Povenir, the main town on the Chilean side. It is very difficult to find your way south from there so we were glad that we had a car and driver.
The area is mostly uninhabited and it is a great way to get away from it all. We saw old gold fields, small villages, beaver valley, large lakes, mountains, and Patagonian Guanaco, a member of the llama family.
- Pros:Something for everyone
- Cons:I need to speak more spanish
- In a nutshell:I would love to go back before I have to renew my passport
Gold was found east of Porvenir in 1879, gold seekers flocked here from Chile and Croatia. Yields were small and the... more travel advice
Around dusk we arrived in the small village of Cameron. We spent the night in a cottage there. The fire was going when... more travel advice
- Warning for vegetarians
- Take along some fuel
- See All Light breakfast
kyoub's Related Pages
Chile Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHILE---A Surprising Country!"
- "Chile - A gifted land"
- "Chile - Land of fabulous contrasts"
- "Land of the Guanaco"
- "* A DISTANT BUT FRIENDLY COUNTRY *"
- "Mission : Fireland - Vers la Tiera de Fuego..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chile
- Hotels in Chile
- Transportation in Chile
- Nightlife in Chile
- Restaurants in Chile
- Shopping in Chile
- Warnings and Dangers in Chile
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chile
- 86 Reviews
- 196 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Chile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chile
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues