"Land of the Guanaco" Top 5 Page for this destination Chile by kyoub

Chile Travel Guide: 4,913 reviews and 13,636 photos

Tierre del Fuego

Chile is a fascinating country, with a more diverse landscape than anywhere else in South America. There is something for everyone. We only had two weeks and we wanted to visit Tierra del Fuego. It is divided almost equally between Chile and Argentina.

Which way from here

First of all we had to get to Punta Arenas on the southern tip of Chile. It faces Tierra del Fuego on the Magellan Strait. We took a ferry from there to Povenir, the main town on the Chilean side. It is very difficult to find your way south from there so we were glad that we had a car and driver.

Gone fishing

The area is mostly uninhabited and it is a great way to get away from it all. We saw old gold fields, small villages, beaver valley, large lakes, mountains, and Patagonian Guanaco, a member of the llama family.

• Pros:Something for everyone
  • Cons:I need to speak more spanish
  • In a nutshell:I would love to go back before I have to renew my passport
  • Last visit to Chile: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2007

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Excellent overview of this South American country with superb restaurants, hotels and accommodations tips! Watching guanaco and penguins sound wonderful to us. The sunset, lake and mountain scenery certainly look amazing! ~ho & pang

• angelalu's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 6:07 AM

Very fascinating landscapes there in Chile! it must be very relaxing spending time admiring them...your words and pictures made me hungry for this country.. Cheers from Italy, Angela

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Such a grand trip. Love photos of the "guanaco"., penguins, & all info about the rainbow trout--copied & sent info to Allan's fishing buddy. Excellent restaurant & hotel tips. Eating at 9 or later sounds like Spain. I love visiting cemeteries. Super job.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM

fascinating page as always

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Hi Kay! You've got talent for writing. I really enjoyed reading your tips and looking at your pictures. I will be back as I am planning a trip to Chile. Happy New Year!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 5:46 AM

This looks like a wonderful trip Kay. Goldrush history is a particular interest of mine, another place to put on my list! Love the penguins. leyle

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 4:48 AM

Excellent page Kay. I love the scenery of course, and also the penguin in his burrow and the black-necked swans. And I remember pisco sours from my visit to Peru ;)

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Great descriptions of some out of the ordinary places. Thanks for sharing

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Awesome page on Chile Kay. You found some lovely places to stay, but I don't know about that cheese, corn & asparagus pizza!! And I like cemeteries too - so much history there. Well done.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 4:20 AM

Wow..excellent page of Chile showing the amazing diversity. And penguins! Hope to visit this beautiful South American country one day. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Chile