"Eco-Tourism" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah by kyoub
State of Sabah Travel Guide: 2,735 reviews and 6,925 photos
Occupying the northern corner of Borneo, the Malaysia state of Sabah contains some of the finest and most accessible examples of Southeast Asian rainforest.
Sabah is also known as the land beneath the wind, because it is not directly affected by the typhoon's that lash other islands nearby.
Sabah's capitol is Kota Kinabalu. It sits on the edge of the South China Sea overlooking a cluster of islands.
A 1/2 hour ferry ride from Kota Kinabalu pier is the Gayana Eco-Resort on Gayana Island.
It has a Marine Ecology Reasearch Center.
Being one of only 6 such facilities in the world, Gayana offers you the unique opportunity to observe the various species of giant clam and marine life housed in 19 display aquariums at close range at the Marine Ecology Research Centre (MERC).
From Kota Kinabalu we flew to the east coast. Sandakan is the departure spot for most all of the nature centers in the area.
We went by car out to Sepilok Jungle Resort. The grounds were beautiful with many fruit trees, palms, and flowers. It was next door to the Orangutan Rehab Center.
We walked over there. and watched them feed bananas to the orangutans.
We had a driver take us out to see the Proboscis Monkeys. The monkeys come in from the forest to be fed also.
- Pros:Something for everyone
- Cons:Very humid
- In a nutshell:If you love nature then you will love Sabah
You will not find this type bathroom just in Sabah but all over Asia. The first time we had one, we kept going in the... more travel advice
I have seen many beautiful sunsets but none more beautiful than what we seen in Sabah. From our hotel in Kota Kinabalu... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
State of Sabah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful time on Sabah"
- "Up the AWESOME Mountains, Down the GLORIOUS Ocean"
- "Sabah - Malaysian Borneo"
- "SABAH - Land of SO MUCH EXPLORATION :)"
- "Spirited Sabah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Sabah
- Hotels in State of Sabah
- Transportation in State of Sabah
- Nightlife in State of Sabah
- Restaurants in State of Sabah
- Shopping in State of Sabah
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Sabah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Sabah
- 53 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to State of Sabah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Sabah
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues