"Eco-Tourism" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah by kyoub

State of Sabah Travel Guide: 2,673 reviews and 6,775 photos

Eco-travel

Occupying the northern corner of Borneo, the Malaysia state of Sabah contains some of the finest and most accessible examples of Southeast Asian rainforest.
Sabah is also known as the land beneath the wind, because it is not directly affected by the typhoon's that lash other islands nearby.
Sabah's capitol is Kota Kinabalu. It sits on the edge of the South China Sea overlooking a cluster of islands.

Over the water

A 1/2 hour ferry ride from Kota Kinabalu pier is the Gayana Eco-Resort on Gayana Island.
It has a Marine Ecology Reasearch Center.
Being one of only 6 such facilities in the world, Gayana offers you the unique opportunity to observe the various species of giant clam and marine life housed in 19 display aquariums at close range at the Marine Ecology Research Centre (MERC).

East coast

From Kota Kinabalu we flew to the east coast. Sandakan is the departure spot for most all of the nature centers in the area.
We went by car out to Sepilok Jungle Resort. The grounds were beautiful with many fruit trees, palms, and flowers. It was next door to the Orangutan Rehab Center.
We walked over there. and watched them feed bananas to the orangutans.
We had a driver take us out to see the Proboscis Monkeys. The monkeys come in from the forest to be fed also.

• Pros:Something for everyone
  • Cons:Very humid
  • In a nutshell:If you love nature then you will love Sabah
  • Last visit to State of Sabah: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2005

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I guess you really did enjoy putting toes in the water here. It is so appealing and the eco living and monkey business was interesting

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2010 at 7:40 PM

The monkeys, bungalows over the water and that beautiful sunset makes the State of Sabah a fabulous place to visit. Excellent page Kay!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2009 at 7:10 AM

One would never guess from the cute pics that those monkeys were such little gremlins!! Loved the accommodations over the water...they look so tranquil.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Kay, this is a beautiful page! I had to laugh at the Macaque monkey and its drink box. I would love to have seen the orangutans and other wildlife up-close like you did. That 'eco-shower' is quite an idea too!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I have never seen a proboscis monkey - just through pictures....would love to see one someday! Although I know somebody who looks like one, hehehe....Norman :)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 2:03 PM

I'd like to see Proboscis Monkey, the ugliest monkey on our planet :-) Gayana Island Eco Resort with bungalows over the water sounds very attractive.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 11:21 AM

Nice page Kay I liked your rehab tip great to see the animals well treated & returned to the wild

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 12:24 PM

Now Sepilok I have been to, it was on of the hottest places I have ever been! It is a great place to visit though, and you have a great page on it!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 11:48 AM

Great page Kay! Aren't those proboscis monkeys amazing! Borneo sure is the place for nature lovers and I loved it here :-) I wouldn't mind going back here again :-)))

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2005 at 11:34 AM

This is very familiar, I love the monkeys, you sure had a wonderful experience here. Regards.

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in State of Sabah

Have you been to State of Sabah?

Latest Activity in State of Sabah