"Around Texas" Top 5 Page for this destination Texas by kyoub

Texas Travel Guide: 13,861 reviews and 28,658 photos

Wildflowers

I wasn't born here but as the saying goes " I got here as soon as I could".
My family took their vacations here, starting when I was a youngster because my step-father was born in Texas. His family still lived here so we would pack up our car once or twice a year and drive down to Port Arthur.
I hated the long drive but I loved the beach and the wildflowers so it was worth it.
When I got the chance to move here several years later, I couldn't wait.
Texas has several thousand species of wildflowers. Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush, Buttercups and more are on the shoulders and median of the highways in spring. You will see fields of flowers when you get out of the city.

Springtime

In the spring you will also see fields of golden yellow. This is a field of coreopsis.
There are also lots and lots of cactus that blooms very pretty in the springtime.
The birds all start their migration up from Mexico and Central America through Texas.
Texas is bursting with wildlife of every conceivable shape, color, size, and disposition. Over 165 species of mammals are native to the state, as well as 213 species of reptiles and amphibians. Texas also hosts the greatest diversity of bird life in the United States -- 590 native species in all.

Beach

110-mile-long Padre Island has one of the last natural seashores in the nation. It is great fun walking on the beach looking for seashells, driftwood, or whatever else that may wash up.You can put up a tent or bring your beach chairs, just watch out for the traffic.

• Pros:Something for everyone
  • Cons:It is a big state
  • In a nutshell:A lot to see and do
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2005

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I know there's a ton of stuff to do & see, but I'm betting the natural beauty of the great State of Texas tops just about anything!! Nice page!!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM

The bluebonnets are so beautiful Kay! Texas is such a special state! Enjoyed the tips and wonderful photographs!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Superb Texas travel page with stunning photographs and excellent travel tips especially on restaurants. Oso Bay and Rio Grande River look wonderful to visit and explore, and so are the State Park, Wildlife Sanctuary and Refuge. ~ho & pang

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 6:29 AM

Outstanding array of restaurants. Frightening warning tips. I would have trouble dealing with the spiders. Love the Wild Mustangs sculpture. Hurrah for the Texas Blue Bonnets!!Great, informative page, Kay.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Although I sent my birthday greeting via Facebook...I thought I'd stop by to ask how your birthday dinner went--was it Thai afterall? Love the latest kitten pics....so glad you gave them a happy home!

• ellsasha's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Advance birthday greetings from Houston. I'm a great nature lover, so look forward to viewing more of your pages. Ellsasha

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Hi Kay! We just arrived here in El Paso Texas and just swam in pool...saw your Padre picture but we don't think we can drive that far...hopefully we don't see any snakes! But we passed by the White Sands -- was great!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2008 at 4:16 AM

You've shown me so many different aspects to Texas - the coastline looks lovely, the birds great (love the painted bunting!) and the Indian restaurants especially sound excellent. Not sure about the spiders tho'!

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2008 at 4:27 AM

hi from downunder..great pages and tips..never see too many birds..I love them..some wonderful parrots here..take care Denny P

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I see I would never go hungry in Texas = a fine selection of restaurant tips here Kay!

kyoub Used To Live Here!

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Texas