"Around Texas" Top 5 Page for this destination Texas by kyoub
Texas Travel Guide: 13,729 reviews and 28,199 photos
I wasn't born here but as the saying goes " I got here as soon as I could".
My family took their vacations here, starting when I was a youngster because my step-father was born in Texas. His family still lived here so we would pack up our car once or twice a year and drive down to Port Arthur.
I hated the long drive but I loved the beach and the wildflowers so it was worth it.
When I got the chance to move here several years later, I couldn't wait.
Texas has several thousand species of wildflowers. Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush, Buttercups and more are on the shoulders and median of the highways in spring. You will see fields of flowers when you get out of the city.
In the spring you will also see fields of golden yellow. This is a field of coreopsis.
There are also lots and lots of cactus that blooms very pretty in the springtime.
The birds all start their migration up from Mexico and Central America through Texas.
Texas is bursting with wildlife of every conceivable shape, color, size, and disposition. Over 165 species of mammals are native to the state, as well as 213 species of reptiles and amphibians. Texas also hosts the greatest diversity of bird life in the United States -- 590 native species in all.
110-mile-long Padre Island has one of the last natural seashores in the nation. It is great fun walking on the beach looking for seashells, driftwood, or whatever else that may wash up.You can put up a tent or bring your beach chairs, just watch out for the traffic.
- Pros:Something for everyone
- Cons:It is a big state
- In a nutshell:A lot to see and do
This charming little Thai restaurant has one of the few Thai buffets in the area. The first Sunday of every month they... more travel advice
A standout Indian restaurant that serves a fusion of north and south Indian food. Bright modern atmosphere. Excellent... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Texas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lots to see in Texas"
- "Keeweechic's Texas"
- "Around Texas"
- "TEXAS--What took us so long to get here?"
- "Texas Back Roads and Byways"
- "My Home: Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Texas
- Hotels in Texas
- Transportation in Texas
- Nightlife in Texas
- Restaurants in Texas
- Shopping in Texas
- Warnings and Dangers in Texas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Texas
- 109 Reviews
- 214 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Texas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Texas
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues