"Warm greetings" Top 5 Page for this destination Nadi by kyoub

Nadi Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 296 photos

Paradise

As I stepped off the plane, into the warm night air, in Nandi,Fiji, I could feel my heart pounding with the excitement of being there. Soon we were greeted my the native people with their big smiles and Bula greeting, I thought we had landed in paradise.
Nandi is where the International Airport is located. We planned to stay for just a couple of night before going out to an island in the Yasawa's.
All plans are made to be broken, especially when you arrive on a tropical island during cyclone season.

When to go.

The dry season in Fiji is from May to October. This is a good time to go becacuse of the low amount of rainfall and cooler temperatures.
Of course, the end of the year is very busy with it being the holiday season. If you live where the winters are cold and you are ready to get away to some warm place for a week or so, February and March seem like a good idea. During those months there are discounts on accommodations and the island is less crowded. There is a risk of tropical cyclones at that time. I mentioned that to my husband and his reply was " What's the chances?"

Surprise

Our fist day in Fiji , we picked up a newspaper. The headlines were CYCLONE GAVIN headed for Viti Levu.
We still were in denial and thought it could turn before reaching Nandi.
Our second morning there we were told that we were being moved into town, away from the bay, just in case.
The following letter was given to us at the hotel when we arrived!
Like they say the rest is history.

• Pros:Warm friendly greetings
  • Cons:Cyclone season
  • In a nutshell:Any port in a storm
  • Last visit to Nadi: Mar 1997
  • Intro Written May 19, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Sounds like you had a good time despite the cyclone and the fallen tree. I have never heard of Mynah birds before, though I have been in places where they grow sugar cane.

• Aug 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Much cheaper to hire a car and drive there if there are more than one of you. Tours are expensive (bus prices) entry fee is very cheap and you can stay as little or as long as you want. It is truly a beautiful garden and well worth the visit.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM

The cyclone's one holiday experience you won't want to repeat, unlike the rest of your stay in Fiji, I'm sure. What alovely place for a holiday. Were the poincianas in bloom when you were there?

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Nice of the hotel to relocate you--I'm glad you didn't both just blow away in the winds!! I imagine there was an abundance of orchids--just beautiful!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM

great tips!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Lovely orchids = I did think seagulls were the most vocal birds but I see you found some others!

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2007 at 10:21 PM

The orchids are beautiful aren't they? We were there in 1992. Had a great time.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 3:21 AM

a cyclone warning? sounds adventurous! :-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Great intro picture. I like your both local customs tips.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2006 at 8:22 AM

Sounds like a fun first trip even in the aftermath of a cyclone. That's the spirit of adventure. Cheers, SL

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Nadi