"Touring Trinidad" Valsayn by kyoub

Valsayn Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 21 photos

The thing that is etched in my memory of Trinidad is the evening that we spent in a boat at the Coroni Swamp.
Sitting there as it turned from dusk to nightfall and looking back toward the city and thinking how beautiful it was with the mountain range in the background.

The Coroni Swamp is where you can see Trinidad and Tobago's national bird, the scarlet ibis.
The beauty of this red bird flying in to roost in the mangroves, at twilight is just amazing.

At first there are only a few and then more start to arrive. Soon hundreds of them stand out like beautiful red flowers against a dark green background.

• Pros:Very good place for birding
  • Cons:Hussle and bustle
  • In a nutshell:I would go back again
  • Last visit to Valsayn: Oct 1995
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2005

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Seeing those Scarlet Ibis in such surroundings must have been amazing! I like the sound of those 'doubles' meals too - can't go wrong with curry! Never heard of chilled coconuts before & that looks like quite a hot-rod your driver had!

• Jul 30, 2007 at 9:16 AM

If the map attached to this site is the actual location of the guesthouse then this is NOT in Valsayn! Valsayn is the residential area about a mile south of it. This place is in St Joseph! Valsayn houses are >$5 million TT. Don't be fooled by imitators

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Next great page. Interesting info and beautiful pictures. A blend of Indians, Africans, and Europeans must be interesting, indeed :-)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 1:19 PM

The Ibis are beautiful!! I don't think I've ever seen one even in a bird sanctuary. Nicely presented, Kay!!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2006 at 2:43 AM

Good idea to hire a driver & have someone cook for you - I loved the duck - Another great page Kay thanks for the tour

• jojocan's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 7:01 PM

We have so many refinieries around here, I would actually like to go visit that one just to see the difference!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2005 at 8:24 AM

Wonderful page Kay. Gosh I tried three times yesterday to peek at, but I guess VT was having problems again. Hugs!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2005 at 2:47 AM

One of my all-time favorite short stories is "The Scarlet Ibis". Doubles sound grand [new term for me]. Wetland sanctuary ..wow! Deppa Divali, the refinery story, that great place you stayed, the birds...it all is marvelous.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2005 at 12:29 AM

Comte de Loppinot looks a beautiful place to visit, I must try doubles if I ever see them, they sound yummy!! Lovely page Kay (~_~)

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Valsayn

Have you been to Valsayn?

Latest Activity in Valsayn