"Peace & Solitude" Johns Hall by kyoub
Johns Hall Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 18 photos
Not everyone goes to Jamaica for the beaches, rum and coffee. Many go for the flora and fauna that can be seen on this lush tropical island. Some seek the peace and solitude one can find in the hills. If you are one of these people, then I know the place for you.
You may think that you are miles away from anything as you drive into the area of John's Hall but in reality you are only a few miles from the hustle and bustle of Montego Bay.
A handful of islands grow ackee as an ornamental tree, but only Jamaica looks at it as a tree that bears edible fruit. Ackee grows in bunches on powerful, strong-rooted trees. The trees grow all across Jamaica, and can be seen here in John's Hall.
The fruit turns bright red on reaching maturity and splits open along the seams with continued exposure to the sun. When open it reveals three large black shiny seeds and bright yellow flesh. Traditionally it is at this time that the ackees are harvested.
Don't try taking a bite though because the fruit isn't edible, just the flesh around the seeds. They sure are pretty though!
Jamaica is the home of over 200 species of birds. Several of these are native to the island and found only in Jamaica.. There are quite a few well known birding spots on the island and this is one of them.
You have to look very closely though because the trees are huge here
- Pros:A great place for birding and nature
- In a nutshell:Away from it all
On the 998 acres of Orange River Ranch, you are sure to spot many species of birds. Some are found nowhere else except... more travel advice
There was nothing that you could buy at the ranch when we stayed there but they may have a gift shop now. You can catch... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Johns Hall Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Johns Hall
- Hotels in Johns Hall
- Transportation in Johns Hall
- Restaurants in Johns Hall
- Shopping in Johns Hall
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Johns Hall
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Johns Hall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johns Hall
Photos in Johns HallSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues