"A real Gem" Top 5 Page for this destination Ambergris Cay by kyoub

Ambergris Cay Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 401 photos

Bird's eye view

Ambergris Caye is northeast of Belize City, the country’s largest island. It is twenty-eight miles long, a short twenty minute plane ride or one-hour boat ride away. Most residents are of Spanish descent but they are bilingual so they can speak with you in Spanish or English.

We had all met at the airport in Dallas for our direct two hour flight to Belize City. After going through customs at Philip Goldson Internationl airport , we got on a small plane and flew to the island. The views from the plane were terrific.

San Pedro

Our plane landed at the small airport just outside the village of San Pedro. A sleepy town of sand streets and shallow blue water,
located in the south end of the island. It is where most of the activity is found.
Tourism is the biggest business on the island. We happened to be there in off season which made it a lot less crowded. Of course we did have to tolerate a bit of rain but we didn't mind, we were on vacation!

Marine reserve

About four miles southeast of town is the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. It is a five square mile underwater park. You can hire boats that will take you there in a glass-bottom boat.

• Pros:Very laid back
  • In a nutshell:I great place for a family vacation
  • Last visit to Ambergris Cay: Aug 2000
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2009

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2010 at 9:47 AM

The restaurant always sound so yummy Kay and the glass bottom boat tour looks fantastic! Excellent page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Sorry, I was interrupted just as I started looking at your new page, but here I am again. Ambergris Cay does sound quite relaxed and laid back, especially since golf carts are one of the main forms of transportation. Nice lead photo from the plane!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Such a delight to see such lovely photographs of family having such fun. Beautiful photographs. I think the hotel looks good! Another winning page, Kay.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM

nurse sharks eh ? yep, met a few of them in my time....

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Hello, Kay! Thanx a lot for your nice page!

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Ambergris Cay

Have you been to Ambergris Cay?

Latest Activity in Ambergris Cay