"Piria's dream" Top 5 Page for this destination Piriápolis by kyoub
Piriápolis Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 114 photos
Piriapolis is a small, laid-back, beach town between Montevideo and Punta del Este.
It is about 60 miles east of the Montevideo the airport but only 15 miles west of the Punta del Este airport..
I actually had never heard of it until someone online suggested an apartment there.
The town has three hills and several beaches. There is also a lot of history here.
Francisco Piria bought ranch land that covered this whole area, in 1890. It was his vision to build a seaside resort.
Like all Uruguay beach towns, it is crowded during the summer months but very quiet the rest of the year. It has very mild temperatures so between April and November is a good time to visit.
When this hotel was built in 1920, it was the largest and plushest in all of South America.
It is still a grand hotel and a very interesting place to browse through.
You can also stay there, it is open all year round. The casino opens at 3pm daily.
Piria's Castle was where the city founder lived in his later days. It was built in 1897, a few miles away from the town of Piriapolis. The town can be seen from the balconies though. The Castle is open to the public daily except Monday. It is furnished with Italian furniture, objects of interest, and old photos.
- Pros:Beautiful beaches
- In a nutshell:More to see than just beaches
A few miles to the east of Mines City there is a rough gravel road that leads to Salto de Penitente (the Penitent's... more travel advice
I am adding this tip about the post office because we could not find anywhere to buy stamps or mail our postcards. The... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Piriápolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Piria's dream"
- "Sea and hills ~ Mar y cerros"
- "The ideal place to relax"
- "Hiking around Piripolis"
- "Great place without the costs of Punta del Este..."
- "piriapolis nice earth"
- "Uruguay's Beach Resorts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Piriápolis
- Hotels in Piriápolis
- Transportation in Piriápolis
- Restaurants in Piriápolis
- Shopping in Piriápolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Piriápolis
- 22 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Piriápolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Piriápolis
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues