"Chilean Tierra del Fuego" Porvenir by kyoub
Porvenir Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 42 photos
Povenir is a small village but the largest settlement in Chilean Tierra del Fuego.It is 2.5 hours by ferry from Punta Arenas. Population is about 6,000 people. It was founded in 1883 as a police constabulary to control the rough elements during the gold rush years. It was the closest town to the gold fields that were discovered on the island.
This is where we were to meet our guide for our tour of the points south and on into Ushuaia, Argentina.
We got to see beautiful black necked swans at Swan Lake. Then we went to the Cerro Mirador where we got to see views of the town.
We did not see the gleaming bonfires all over the island, as Magellan did many centuries ago; but we did see monuments of the Indians, the first inhabitants of this place at the end of the world.
This park is a memorial to the earliest gold-seeking immigrants, most of whom were Croatians.
- Pros:A small village
- Cons:Very quiet
- In a nutshell:Off the beaten path
Some of the best fishing in the world is here in the southern part of Chile. There are many fishing camps/resorts dotted... more travel advice
We had a car and driver that took us from Povenir to points south. We wanted to see the most southern part of Chile. We... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Porvenir Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Porvenir
- Hotels in Porvenir
- Transportation in Porvenir
- Restaurants in Porvenir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porvenir
- 15 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Porvenir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porvenir
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues