"Chilean Tierra del Fuego" Porvenir by kyoub

Porvenir Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 42 photos

Povenir, the starting point

Povenir is a small village but the largest settlement in Chilean Tierra del Fuego.It is 2.5 hours by ferry from Punta Arenas. Population is about 6,000 people. It was founded in 1883 as a police constabulary to control the rough elements during the gold rush years. It was the closest town to the gold fields that were discovered on the island.
This is where we were to meet our guide for our tour of the points south and on into Ushuaia, Argentina.
We got to see beautiful black necked swans at Swan Lake. Then we went to the Cerro Mirador where we got to see views of the town.

Waterfront Park

We did not see the gleaming bonfires all over the island, as Magellan did many centuries ago; but we did see monuments of the Indians, the first inhabitants of this place at the end of the world.

Parque Yugoslavo

This park is a memorial to the earliest gold-seeking immigrants, most of whom were Croatians.

• Pros:A small village
  • Cons:Very quiet
  • In a nutshell:Off the beaten path
  • Last visit to Porvenir: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2007

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Looks like a great trip Kaye. The black-necked swans are intriguing. There was one living in Kew Gardens for many, many years but no mate, so no cygnets. leyle

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 10:11 AM

The swans in the lake is so beautiful Kay! The momuments are wonderful. I always enjoy your pages! Have a lovely day

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 4:06 AM

your picture of the four swans looiks like four mini loch ness monsters !

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 5:53 AM

Great tips on this part of Chile. When we visited this beautiful country we never saw alpaca or llama, although I thought I sighted one on the side of a mountain, but my son convinced me that I must have imagined that.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 8:02 AM

You've really captured an "End of the world" atmosphere, as one of your photos says :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM

What a delight to visit again. Great to have a private tour guide who can catch fish for you. What a page! Straightforward, insightful, alluring. This was really an adventure. Such desolation. Your work is so organized & easy to follow. I appreciate that.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 10:05 PM

This was my new place for the week to discover, and what a nice discovery it was. Thanks for the lovely tips ;-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Kay, I see this page has grown a lot of more useful information = the additional pictures are a delight

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 9:08 AM

I would love a trip to Chile's tip! Thanks for the info and great photos on your time in Porvenir! It looks like border security is very tight down there ;-) Your Trout meal sounds delicious - reminds me of the fresh Arctic Char I had earlier this week!

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Wish we could go there...Nice place to get away from the city life

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Porvenir

Have you been to Porvenir?

Latest Activity in Porvenir