"A bit of history" Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Arenas by kyoub
Punta Arenas Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 404 photos
Looking at a map, you would have to say that Punta Arenas lies pretty much at the end
of South America. We longed to see what it was like in Southern Patagonia.
We first had to fly to Miami where we boarded Lan Chile for our flight to Santiago.
We changed plans in Santiago, flew to Puerto Montt where we stopped for 25 minutes to let off and get passengers. Finally the plane was on its way to Punta Arenas.
A bus was at the airport waiting for passengers into town. They stopped in front of our hotel and let us off. A friendly welcome to Chile.
First stop, find a tour company that will book us on a tour to Isla Magdalena to visit the penguins. We have read that thousands come ashore there to mate and rest. The season is from Oct to March, we are in luck.
The plaza has beautiful trees and is surrounded by churches, mansions, hotels, and shopping.
In the center of the plaza is the bronze monument of Ferdinand Magellan and at his side are native Indians.
- Pros:Happy people
- Cons:Changeable weather
- In a nutshell:A very interesting city
The favorite thing that we did while in Punta Arenas was to go out to the island to see the Penguins. more travel advice
This is a walking town so take comfortable shoes. It will probably rain while you are out so take a water repellant... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Punta Arenas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the southernmost town in Chile"
- "A bit of history"
- "Estrecho de Magallanes - Tierra del Fuego"
- "Where the wind blows Cold"
- "Punta Arenas - The most Southern city in Chile"
- "Punta Arenas - a warm city in Patagonia"
- "Punta Arenas, at the end of the world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Punta Arenas
- Hotels in Punta Arenas
- Transportation in Punta Arenas
- Nightlife in Punta Arenas
- Restaurants in Punta Arenas
- Shopping in Punta Arenas
- Warnings and Dangers in Punta Arenas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Punta Arenas
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Punta Arenas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Punta Arenas
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues