"A bit of history" Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Arenas by kyoub

Punta Arenas Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 430 photos

Puenta Arenas

Looking at a map, you would have to say that Punta Arenas lies pretty much at the end
of South America. We longed to see what it was like in Southern Patagonia.
We first had to fly to Miami where we boarded Lan Chile for our flight to Santiago.
We changed plans in Santiago, flew to Puerto Montt where we stopped for 25 minutes to let off and get passengers. Finally the plane was on its way to Punta Arenas.

A bus was at the airport waiting for passengers into town. They stopped in front of our hotel and let us off. A friendly welcome to Chile.

Penguin colony

First stop, find a tour company that will book us on a tour to Isla Magdalena to visit the penguins. We have read that thousands come ashore there to mate and rest. The season is from Oct to March, we are in luck.

Plaza

The plaza has beautiful trees and is surrounded by churches, mansions, hotels, and shopping.
In the center of the plaza is the bronze monument of Ferdinand Magellan and at his side are native Indians.

• Pros:Happy people
  • Cons:Changeable weather
  • In a nutshell:A very interesting city
  • Last visit to Punta Arenas: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2007

Travelogues (1)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I'm always happy when I find another VT page featuring penguins ;) These are really cute, and your tips are as helpful as ever. Shame about the graffitti though.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Punta Arenas is our next stop after Ushuaia. We'll be there next Wednesday. Looking forward to seeing Magellanic penguins on the island - we've seen 5 types so far on our trip but no Magellanic ones yet.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2007 at 6:33 AM

Kay, this page brings back happy memories of my very short stay in Punta Arenas on my way to Antarctica! Boy, that "kitchenette adventure" sounds bad - but you made the best out of it!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 3:04 AM

Interesting tips about "Finis Terrae" -- as that hotel is so aptly called.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 12:23 PM

A return visit concerning the penguins was a delight! I always enjoy the cemeteries & burial traditions. Your shopping & hotel tips were excellent. I hate grafitti..your comment reminds me of Mantova, Italy. Insightful, intriguing, & personable.

• Oct 29, 2006 at 4:24 AM

I am from Holland and the name of the website is www.yorintravel.nl

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 3:10 PM

What a lovely place = great welcome from the Penguins - nice tips & photos Kay = well done

• Aug 27, 2006 at 10:52 AM

Hi, it's not a local custom at all, it's a big problem we're having with groups of young people and the local government does not know how to deal with it. They tried passing harsher laws, but the kids keep with this 'hip-hopish' kind of fashion.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 3:44 AM

Good morning Kay. I really enjoyed this page especially the nesting site of Magellanic Penguins. Must have been an awesome sight. Pizza with cheese, corn & asparagus - now that's another matter. I hope at least they had asparagus tips!!!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2006 at 11:09 AM

It must have been a thrill seeing the penguins and other areas of Punta Arenas. I agree about the graffiti, I´ve seen much of it when visiting Chile...

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Punta Arenas

Have you been to Punta Arenas?

Latest Activity in Punta Arenas